First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Bluebird428 New carburetor caution - 03/17/18 03:20 PM
Just passing on a suggestion for anyone buying a new carburetor. Before installing it make sure it's clean, inside and out.
I recently bought a Holley 4150 style clone, from what used to be a manufacturer with a rather good reputation. The owner retired a few years ago and the company was bought by Holley.

It's an 850 CFM mechanical secondary Hp style. Since these carburetors have adjustable idle feed, emulsion and power valve restrictors, I thought I had better take it apart and document the restrictor jet sizes. I was shocked and disappointed to find metal shavings in the fuel bowls, and between the metering blocks and the main body. As well, a few of the removable restrictors had the heads stripped off during installation, the chunks of brass were caught in the restrictor orifices.

Upon inspecting the throttle body I found two dents in the bottom along the edge of the two primary barrels, and a crack in the body where a spring retention pin was driven in. They replaced the throttle body under warranty, but it still cost me for shipping and duty.

If I had installed the carburetor without dismantling it It surely wouldn't have operated correctly.
You never know what you're getting these days and quality control is a thing of the past.

Just a suggestion, but these things should be disassembled and blasted out with solvent, carb clean and compressed air.

FWIW
Posted By: salmon38 Re: New carburetor caution - 03/17/18 03:44 PM
Just another reason why I grabbed a NOS E-brock 1901 QJet replacement at a swap meet years back as soon as I saw it.
Posted By: uconn86hgiv Re: New carburetor caution - 03/18/18 11:44 AM
I have often thought that having an older carb professionally rebuilt was preferable to buying a new one. But I guess that isn't without risks either.
Posted By: Bluebird428 Re: New carburetor caution - 03/18/18 10:01 PM
Well I think if you sent a Quadrajet to "Cliff's" you would most likely get a pretty good product, but I'm not talking from experience.

The sad thing about the way aftermarket manufactured performance parts are being built is:
Most of the stuff I've seen from China is junk right out of the box. One would think stuff made in the US would be a better quality, that's why we pay the extra money. But lately the US made stuff seems to be following the same path as the off shore stuff. I don't know who Holley hires to put together there products but this is ridiculous. Carb looks good, polished bowls and body, anodized base plate and metering blocks, BUT full of scrap metal, the tops broken off jets, dents in the thing, who put this together, blind apes?,

What's going to happen to the performance interest when there are no good products to be had anywhere?
Posted By: Dr. Drivability Re: New carburetor caution - 03/19/18 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Bluebird428
Well I think if you sent a Quadrajet to "Cliff's" you would most likely get a pretty good product, but I'm not talking from experience.

Very true, although I did the rebuild on mine, I did source the kit and some good advice from Cliff. If you are going to build a Qjet, get his book and all the parts from him.

He usually does not give out free advice, but if you buy his kits/parts, he will spend some time on the phone with you. You won't see that kind of service from China.
Posted By: Bluebird428 Re: New carburetor caution - 03/20/18 02:12 PM
Like I said, I've never had the occasion to buy from or use his service. He does have a forum on his Cliff's Quadrajet site, where he answers all kinds of carburetor questions.

Not and endorsement thread, just a heads up to dismantle and inspect A. M. parts when one buys them. I purchased a Ready to (NOT) run distributor a couple years ago. Came with a pre-bent shaft, a vacuum advance that didn't, and most everything under the cap came pre-corroded. Saved me the trouble of ruining the distributor myself.
Posted By: salmon38 Re: New carburetor caution - 03/20/18 03:22 PM
Try setting up a new house these days: New appliance company's delivery subcontractor clipped the front door frame on the way in and the creased the freezer door with the edge of the kitchen counter. 9 window blinds installed after both the installation company and I measured the windows and 3 did not fit (33% failure). 1 out of 6 pre-installed ceiling speakers did not work. I had to readjust both garage door tracks because they got farther apart as the doors swung up below the garage ceiling...

Then there is the inevitable damage to belongings during a move...

Craftsmanship ain't what it used to be.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)