First Generation Firebird
Posted By: bill v Mystery leak, whats my leak? - 05/15/18 05:11 PM
gonna post some pics. we have had a leak of coolant for a while now. small amount on garage floor after a ride, maybe an 1/8 of a cup.

I knew the hose at the heater core was leaking, I had an original style clamp, found it wasn,t real tight. I replaced it with a real clamp, leak gone. NO, theres another

I get under car and look thinking its a freeze plug can't tell, can't figure where it is coming from, it ends up dripping from the oil pan edge to the floor

it almost looks to me that its slowly coming through the paint, there is a freeze plug not far but it seems dry
This is passengers side just above the oil filter. in the pic there is a plug that is dry (hex head) the first wet i see is under that round nipple looking thing to the top right of hexhead it almost looks like its leaching from the paint.

Anyone see this before or have ideas?

bill v

Attached picture IMG_1227(1).jpg
Attached picture IMG_1227.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1224.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1226.jpg
Posted By: bill v Re: Mystery leak, whats my leak? - 05/15/18 05:21 PM
I cant seem to edit the photos they all turned 90* on me the bottom of the photo and the floor is to the right of the photo

bill v
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Mystery leak, whats my leak? - 05/15/18 10:04 PM
That will suck if it’s coming through the cast iron. Could have corroded through maybe with the help of a casting defect
Posted By: bill v Re: Mystery leak, whats my leak? - 05/16/18 03:12 PM
yikes BOB that doesnt sound good if thats whats going on I'll need to get it on a lift somewhere to get a better look at it

if that is whats happening, can anything be done about it?

Bill V
Posted By: Sleddog Re: Mystery leak, whats my leak? - 05/17/18 11:43 AM
Are you sure it's not migrating from above slowly and collecting there? Just asking because you cant tell from pics. It is possible that your cooling channel might be thin walled from years of use possibly with not so ideal coolant, but I would think that would be a last resort thought.
Posted By: Bronze Bird Re: Mystery leak, whats my leak? - 05/21/18 08:18 PM
My heater core was leaking and accumulating at about that same spot. Not the hose, but a pinhole in one of the nipples at the solder joint.

Disconnect your heater core and loop your hose back to the head...see if that resolves your leak.
Posted By: Sleddog Re: Mystery leak, whats my leak? - 05/22/18 11:54 AM
Good thought BB... easy to try.

What you been up to? PM me you FB info will ya?
Posted By: Bronze Bird Re: Mystery leak, whats my leak? - 05/22/18 08:21 PM
SOS 'dog... Just older and stiffer.

What info you need? I'm an open book. Boring. But open.
Posted By: Sleddog Re: Mystery leak, whats my leak? - 05/23/18 01:32 PM
Dude, I lost your phone number when I switched phones, can you PM me your number and last name? Are you on facebook?
Posted By: bill v Re: Mystery leak, whats my leak? - 05/24/18 12:11 PM
Thanks guys, I had just fixed a leak at the heater core. I had a repop "correct" style clamp. put a reg hose clamp and it stopped.

BB, I will check for a pee-er, Thanks I'll get her back up in the air again to get a better look.
Hey, your in Denver? we'll be out that way in a few weeks for vac, if you see a couple crazies trying to flag you down in a rental car , that would be us!

bill v
Posted By: Bronze Bird Re: Mystery leak, whats my leak? - 05/25/18 04:04 AM
Bill, i'm in Louisiana!

'Dog...pm sent. No Facebook for me.
Posted By: bill v Re: Mystery leak, whats my leak? - 05/25/18 10:34 AM
Sorry BB, for some reason my mind had that bronze car in Denver. not sure why. my mind works in mysterious ways,LOL

bill v
Posted By: 68tpls400 Re: Mystery leak, whats my leak? - 05/25/18 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by bill v
bronze car in Denver. bill v

You are probably thinking of Doug. (Colorado68)
Posted By: Bronze Bird Re: Mystery leak, whats my leak? - 05/27/18 03:58 AM
That would be him! BEAUTIFUL autumn brownie '68.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)