First Generation Firebird

My 1968 Firebird build

Posted By: BenNSB

My 1968 Firebird build - 04/14/17 06:03 AM

After years of searching, looking and dreaming about owning a 67 or 68 Firebird I finally got my chance to fulfill a childhood dream of mine. In the spring of 1983 my dad brought home a Champagne 326 H.O. 1967 Firebird. As I waked home from school that day, I saw the surface rusted, jacked up rear axle, stars and bars draped across the package tray atrocity and my first grade self thought, "Why did he bring home this piece of junk?"

My younger brother was always hanging around that car.

Pics circa 1983

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My mom, who has passed, restored all of the emblems and reupholstered the interior. My uncle helped my dad rebuild the engine and put it all back together. (He later bought it off of my dad in 1987, selling it to a collector in 1988 and bought a new black 5.0 5 speed Mustang GT.) My dad had his friend paint it Guard's Red. When I saw it after all the work they did it left a lasting impression on me. I was enchanted by it. It was and has remained my dream car.

Pics circa 1986

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/14/17 06:21 AM

Last summer my girlfriend's Uncle came across a first gen in Ohio. He asked what I was looking for and I told him a 67 or 68. Turns out a friend of a friend of his had passed and was beginning a full restoration of his 1968 Firebird. His son sold it to me cheap and I flew up to Ohio, rented a Ihaul and towed it back to Florida. The firewall, cowl and rear seat bracket were the only original metal left.

In my girlfriend's dad's garage in Ohio

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Loaded up on the UHaul

[Linked Image]

900 miles later

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cme469

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/14/17 06:26 AM

Welcome BenNSB, love those love stories. How's your little bro these days?
Cme469

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/14/17 06:35 AM

I picked up a 400 Pontiac motor from a speed shop and started working on the suspension components. I bought 17" Bandit wheels from US mags and went with 235/45 17x8 front and 275/40 17x9 rear. I also picked up a 2004-R with locking converter for dirt cheap.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/14/17 06:49 AM

Working on the engine

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Adjusting the roller rockers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Painting it the 1968 color

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/14/17 07:05 AM

Using "LS1" F-body brakes on the front and 2002 S10 Blazer brakes on the rear, 4WD on rear driver and 2WD on passenger to clear staggered shocks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/14/17 07:37 AM

Started rust proofing the floor, polished old gauges. Going to refurbish the Deluxe steering wheel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Finished replacing control arms and installed 2" drop coils.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tore down front to remove subframe and restore. Also need to patch a couple spots on the firewall and seam seal.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Figured since I didn't need the engine stand, why not?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm213/bennsb/IMG_3641_zpsqlqseofr.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm213/bennsb/IMG_3642_zpsdlbnv2dm.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm213/bennsb/IMG_3646_zpsjhm92uaf.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm213/bennsb/IMG_3648_zpsrawmpvg9.jpg[/img]

And that's where I'm at right now. My daily driver is the 1987 S10 in the background that I built in my old backyard that has a 1996 LT4 350 and a BorgWarner T56 six speed. This car has definitely been much easier to build and I'm happy with the progress, as sporadic as it has been. I'm going to go with a FiTech throttle body fuel injection and will modify the intake plenum to accommodate. Lots of work ahead and I'll try to post up progress here with plenty of pictures.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/14/17 07:42 AM

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/14/17 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by cme469
Welcome BenNSB, love those love stories. How's your little bro these days?
Cme469

Thanks, he's good. He has been hounding me to slow down so he can help out with the car. He has dibs on the first ride. I think I'll get him a pair of depends and replicate the first picture, lol!

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/23/17 01:58 AM

Hopefully I'm done with the grind wheels for a while. Stripped the interior and finished coating the floorboard, inner firewall, back seat brace and package tray.

Remembered to take before during and after pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Amervo

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/23/17 04:43 AM

You're moving right along with that project. Keep your nose to the grindstone, and you'll be at the end of the tunnel a lot faster than many.

If it isn't out of line to ask, how much did the truck/trailer cost you, and approximate mpg, or approximate fuel bill. 600 miles will be my ballpark mileage.

I just want a real number from a customer, not the smoke-and-mirror price the company advertises.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/26/17 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Amervo

how much did the truck/trailer cost you, and approximate mpg, or approximate fuel bill. 600 miles will be my ballpark mileage.

I just want a real number from a customer, not the smoke-and-mirror price the company advertises.

It wasn't cheap. I loaded up a bunch of antiques and made it worth my while. If I had still had my full size truck I would have drove it up and back with the car hauler in tow. The van got about 11mpg and I filled up 3 times. That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Wouldn't have been worth it if the car weren't as cheap as I got it for...

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/26/17 02:45 AM

I just installed the Bowtie Overdrives transmission crossmember and it was very simple. You can use a TH400 crossmember but it blocks the pan and access to the transmission filter. I feel the money spent was worth it.

Today's goodies:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

TH350 crossmember won't work with the 2004-R mount:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Couldn't have been easier, plenty of clearance for exhaust:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/26/17 04:36 AM

Looks like your doing a fantastic job. Awesome build!
Posted By: wovenweb

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/26/17 10:16 AM

Nice to see all the pictures. Do you know what that 200-4R transmission came out of?
Posted By: Sleddog

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/26/17 11:39 AM

Looking good!

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/26/17 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by wovenweb
Nice to see all the pictures. Do you know what that 200-4R transmission came out of?

The ID tag is gone. I know it is an '87 and prior owner believed it came out of a Monte Carlo SS. I guess I'll find out when try a WOT shift. He had it behind a built 383 SBC in an '82 RX7. The non-performance 2004-R's shift at 3,000 WOT, he said this one was shifting at 5,000 rpm.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/27/17 09:11 PM

Driveshaft that came with the car was too long, not even sure if it was for this car. Scored a 49.5" aluminum driveshaft off of Craigslist. Guy said he had it made for his old Camaro and never installed it and it has sat in the back of his garage for 20 years. He said he spent a week's pay on it back then. I gave him 3 crisp Jackson's and a handshake for it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My Dad came across a photo of his '67 when he first started working on it:

[Linked Image]

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/28/17 04:57 AM

The black one dose not look like the stock bird shaft to me. Seems to thin.???

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/28/17 05:00 PM

Yeah, I think it is a mopar 26 spline input on the yoke. A pair of VW Super Beetle running boards were packed in with the parts, so who knows.

Looking close at the pic of my Dad's car you can make out the faint outline where the H.O. stripe was.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/03/17 02:06 AM

Started tackling the firewall. I cut out the two rust holes by the doors. Not much welding to do for the patches. I also ordered the pedals and covers. Going to weld the necessary patches and seam seal the firewall. After it spraying matte black and coating the underside with bed liner, I'll run the gas and brake lines and mount the subframe.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bigchief

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/03/17 02:04 PM

Bad thing about bedliner and any undercoat it will trap moisture and the metal will continue to rust away.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/03/17 02:48 PM

The whole bottom floorpan is new metal and there is no rust. Bedliner is waterproof whereas a rubberized undercoating will allow moisture to seep in. My truck's underside looks as good as I did it 5 years ago and I drive on the beach often and live in a high salt environment. I'm going to take the rusted portions of the firewall to bare metal and use a self etching primer then paint it matte or satin black.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/07/17 11:48 PM

My accelerator pedal and mount came in along with my brake pad cover. Still waiting on headers and radiator mount biscuits.

Got a little bit of firewall work done, ran out of motivation so I'll sand the filler later. Turned out okay.
Before;

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Aftermath:

Door area plugged, no turning back now...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Seam seal, will sand down and paint. (Going to reseal entire firewall and will tape it off.)

[Linked Image]

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/10/17 03:01 AM

Headers arrived on my porch today. I got them installed in about 25 minutes. Way easier than my S10. I used nord-lock washers on the header bolts. Happy with the fit of the Heddman's and I have plenty of room for the oil filter. Supposed to pick up entire bolt kit and stainless steel brake lines tomorrow. Another Craigslist score. I'm starting to get spoiled.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/14/17 02:29 AM

This arrived in the mail today:

[Linked Image]

Going to be fun spraying this under the car. Hoping my two other boxes get here soon, much more exciting- BRP fuel injection tank and FiTech Go EFI 4 Power Adder 600...

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/15/17 04:28 PM

Got this today, waiting on the fuel tank.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now to make it work:

[Linked Image]

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/15/17 07:42 PM

All in now:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Time to smooth out walls, wash, wash and wash again then install.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bronze Bird

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/18/17 07:22 PM

GREAT THREAD!!!
Posted By: colorado68

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/21/17 03:31 AM

Love the pictures and work you've done. Thanks for sharing! smile

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/22/17 03:56 AM

Thanks, both of you! I'm trying to log all I'm doing as it goes along.

Manifold cleaned up.

[Linked Image]

Butterfly valves can fully open now;

[Linked Image]

Grabbed a cheap air cleaner for the time being.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My gas tank came in, but I was mandated to work on my day off. I'll post pictures of it later.

Posted By: Firebob

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/23/17 01:04 PM

Careful with that late model intake. Looks like maybe a mismatch with the heat cross-over. Sometimes that top opening in the head is dead spac. Sometimes not.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/23/17 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Firebob
Careful with that late model intake. Looks like maybe a mismatch with the heat cross-over.

Yeah I noticed that right off the bat. It was a '77 numbers matching W72 400 motor. The heat riser matches the intake port and that is dead space. After much research and pondering I decided to not fill or block it off as the benefits are short lived, the heat still soaks through the intake after 20 minutes or so. You might shave a tenth off of your 1/4 mile but two runs in it'll be back up to the temp without block off plates.

After years of building Chevy motors, these Poncho nuances are really keeping me engaged and learning.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/30/17 05:17 PM

After a long work weekend and taking it easy yesterday, I tackled my EFI fuel tank. Following the easy to follow instructions, I measured, cut and assembled the fuel pump and return along with the fuel sending unit. Tank was 6 3/8" deep, mid point for the rheostat was 3 5/16". Everything checked out, fuel pump sits nicely in the built in reservoir. I used PTFE thread sealant on all the mounting screws. The tank mocked up easily. I used some peel and stick roofing seal as my anti squeak strips on the tank and straps. I plan on using a C5 filter/regulator when I run the fuel lines. Turns out the FiTech calls for 58 psi so that works out well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: USMC_Ordy

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/30/17 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by BenNSB
I just installed the Bowtie Overdrives transmission crossmember and it was very simple. You can use a TH400 crossmember but it blocks the pan and access to the transmission filter. I feel the money spent was worth it.

Today's goodies:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

TH350 crossmember won't work with the 2004-R mount:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Couldn't have been easier, plenty of clearance for exhaust:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BenNSB, I have been looking for a long time for a crossmember that wont block the pan on the 2004R and you say this one wont? What is the part number of this one you are using so I can get it? I have problems with mine blocking the very back of the pan and making it hard to tighten a couple of the pan bolts.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/30/17 07:10 PM

XMCA67692 is the part number, Bowtie Overdrives is the manufacturer. I got mine off of eBay. You can see in the pictures I took there is ample clearance to remove the pan unobstructed. Pricey, but I felt it would be worth it in the long run.
Posted By: bill v

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/30/17 08:48 PM

Very nice Ben.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/30/17 09:31 PM

XMCA67692 is the part number, Bowtie Overdrives is the manufacturer. I got mine off of eBay. You can see in the pictures I took there is ample clearance to remove the pan unobstructed. Pricey, but I felt it would be worth it in the long run.

Thanks Ben that is very helpful since I have not been able to get on Bowties website. Looks like it isnt working. I have seen these exact ones before a couple of years ago at various sites but on asking if they work with a Firebird I am always told that they are not compatable with the Firebirds. So it is nice to know that it does work since (always told only for camaro) i was alway thinking that they pretty much use the same Sub-frame. Is there any thing listed in any paperwork stating for use with under a certain amount of HP?

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/30/17 11:46 PM

You're welcome. Nothing noted on the receipt I got from Bowtie. I couldn't pull up the site either. It is a stout piece, I'm confident it will hold up to my 400 hp setup. If you are talking 600+ hp I think it would hold if you had solid motor mounts. I'm assuming you'd have a 4-link rear setup or something similar. It is a hefty gauge tube and the ends are solidly welded all the way around the mounting tabs. I feel like I'd lose a motor mount before this crossmember gave me any issues. Maybe in a few years I can report back on how it holds up to boost...

As far as compatibility, there are a few different mounting holes that allow for some adjustment. Mine installed just fine. Of course after cramming an old LT4 and a T56 in my '87 S10, everything about this car feels easy.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/31/17 01:31 AM

You're welcome. Nothing noted on the receipt I got from Bowtie. I couldn't pull up the site either. It is a stout piece, I'm confident it will hold up to my 400 hp setup. If you are talking 600+ hp I think it would hold if you had solid motor mounts. I'm assuming you'd have a 4-link rear setup or something similar. It is a hefty gauge tube and the ends are solidly welded all the way around the mounting tabs. I feel like I'd lose a motor mount before this crossmember gave me any issues. Maybe in a few years I can report back on how it holds up to boost...

As far as compatibility, there are a few different mounting holes that allow for some adjustment. Mine installed just fine. Of course after cramming an old LT4 and a T56 in my '87 S10, everything about this car feels easy.

Cool beans man, again, much appreciated. I will be running about 500 HP with the butler poly mounts and a stout 2004R from Extreme automatics by Lonnie Diers, so I shouldnt have a problem.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/31/17 01:46 AM

Anytime. I plan on rebuilding my 2004R later on and possibly mating it to a new LT4 'Vette motor (650HP/650TQ) when I retire. For now I'm sticking with what I got and might do a blow through turbo or procharger... I splurged on the FiTech power adder knowing a project is never completely finished.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/31/17 10:31 AM

Wow, LT4 vette motor? Nice! Make sure to post some pics once you get your exhaust run and if this crossmember caused any problems. Are you going with 2.5" pipes?
Posted By: Sleddog

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/31/17 11:40 AM

Can't wait to see the installed motor- keep us posted smile

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/31/17 03:12 PM

Haha, that will be closer to 2030 on the Vette LT4.

I am planning on running dual 2.5" exhaust with a crossover. Preferably mandrel bent. I'll post up pics of everything as I go along, progress maybe spotty at best. I plan on keeping this car for good so I'm in no rush.

Here is my '87 S10 daily driver I built in my backyard:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 06/01/17 12:15 AM

Haha, that will be closer to 2030 on the Vette LT4.

I am planning on running dual 2.5" exhaust with a crossover. Preferably mandrel bent. I'll post up pics of everything as I go along, progress maybe spotty at best. I plan on keeping this car for good so I'm in no rush.

Here is my '87 S10 daily driver I built in my backyard:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yea, I figured the Vette motor wasn't anything soon, but still... that is crazy power for you're car. Guessing something crazy like you're back yard S10...lol Nice by the way! Looking forward to seeing the progress pics ,man!

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 06/23/17 02:10 AM

Been a while, not much done. Tidied up some firewall issues, a little more prep work to be done before the subframe gets bolted back on. I decided to go with a gas strut instead of the torsion bars. Welds could have been a lot prettier but it will hold. I'll dress that up later.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A locking nut just happened to be the perfect spacer:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 10/17/17 06:14 AM

Will try to add progress pics and videos. Still plugging away on the car.

Attached picture IMG_6239.JPG
Attached picture IMG_6307.JPG
Attached picture IMG_6309.JPG
Attached picture IMG_6308.JPG

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 10/24/17 01:27 AM

Worked on my fuel delivery. Used braided -6AN with press in fittings and crimped around the barbs. Using a Wix 33737 Corvette LSx filter/regulator to supply 58 pounds of fuel pressure to the FiTech injection. Used nomex sleeves on lines off of tank as I'm planning on running the Pypes SGF70 transverse muffler stainless exhaust. So much to do...

I found a rear defroster in my parts bin and it works like it was new. Debating on whether I should install it.

Attached picture IMG_6368.PNG
Attached picture IMG_6369.PNG
Attached picture IMG_6371.PNG
Attached picture IMG_6372.PNG
Attached picture IMG_6373.PNG
Attached picture IMG_6374.PNG
Attached picture IMG_6375.PNG

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 11/02/17 02:28 AM

Waiting for exhaust and new screw type fuel line quick connects for the filter to ship. Goal is to have engine fired up this month. (Video will be posted.)

Today I turned 40, I've been an open water ocean lifeguard for 20, drive a truck that's 30 and am looking forward to driving the Firebird that will be 50. My motorcycle is 11, but my better half looks 10 years younger than she is so that'll work. smile
Posted By: Dennis in Indiana

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 11/06/17 03:10 AM

Hot Rod Magazine has been running a multi-part feature on Mark Stielow installing an LT4 in a '69 Camaro. Holley used the project to develop headers, motor mounts, and cross member for DSE subframe. I saw the car in Holley's booth at SEMA. Pretty neat stuff. Google Stielow build for more info.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/15/18 02:14 AM

First attempt at starting my rebuilt 400.

Quick revs to 2,500 RPM

Been a while but making headway.

Attached picture 37E67392-FC5D-4C88-A81E-F40C298714E2.jpeg
Attached picture C7779A0B-CF69-4315-83ED-EF337C0E9B8D.jpeg
Attached picture E46891F8-A979-430B-890B-125059834938.jpeg
Attached picture A47CB064-881D-4062-AC41-82CE2915C578.jpeg
Posted By: Gus68

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/16/18 05:48 PM

sweet! Nice wheels! good luck

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/17/18 01:39 AM

Ben, just impressive!!!! man, everything. keep going and keep the pics coming

bill v

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/20/18 03:43 PM

Thanks! I haven’t been able to get much done with all the rain this week. I did install a ‘68 Camaro console with an aftermarket gaugepod and a ‘68/69 Camaro specific Quicksilver ratchet shifter. I measure about 5 times before drilling my mounting holes in the unmarked aftermarket floorpan (no dimple indicators like factory). I welded in 7 tee nuts and surprisingly they were all spot on.

I used the ‘69 shifter button with the down wing bird. While at the junkyard I found a Pontiac G6 in the junkyard and cut out the steering wheel arrowhead since they aren’t selling srs airbags anymore... After trimming it a bit it fit perfectly in the original deluxe wheel. I wrapped it with a fake leather cover to hide the cracks until I get it remolded. I’ll go back to the bird center cap and a PMD or arrowhead on the shifter then.

Attached picture F3111D45-E87E-4C2D-82B5-02D6E83A1B17.jpeg
Attached picture 42A507E1-074D-45AF-AC8B-53FF2EAF2151.jpeg
Attached picture EE976000-0436-45ED-AB89-942CA19E828B.jpeg
Attached picture 8BD53ED5-760D-4AAF-8081-AAD54D827413.jpeg
Attached picture 3A809E61-897F-4B03-ABDD-454123C49711.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/25/18 02:14 AM

No pics or video, but did ride around the block today. The FiTech was easy to setup and the motor is responding very well to it. Quick startup and it is idling with a little lope at 770 rpm. Throttle response feels instantaneous. My trans has at least two forward gears and a reverse... I just went around my neighborhood loop. Trans feels like it has a shift kit and stayed in gear to 5 grand before hammering into second. The 406’s torque is crazy compared to what I’m used to in my S10. I can’t wait to go on an actual drive, but that’s a ways out.

My neighbors cheered for me when I rounded the block and pulled in the driveway. I’m fortunate to have neighbors pushing their 70’s and are getting a kick out of my work in the driveway. Today was pretty awesome, about 5 steps forward and only 1 step back for a change.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/28/18 10:25 PM

Got rained out today but managed to drill 36 holes in virgin sheet metal. Fun times. Installed passenger mirror, front fender emblems, and the rear quarter “vent” trim. Can’t wait to get her painted. I still have the “400” emblems to drill out and the “PONTIAC” letters on the trunk. After that the epoxy primer is going on.

Attached picture CA37F659-85A9-49A2-981B-6125634DF1D0.jpeg
Attached picture 2BB605D7-2B4C-430A-BB35-3D19680C03C9.jpeg
Attached picture FB2664B8-C9F1-48E3-BF34-39E9AC6F806B.jpeg
Attached picture A0AFB0D0-7FBF-409B-912F-309B042572A1.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 05/29/18 12:55 AM

Love that floor console!

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 06/26/18 11:33 PM

Installed the RAM AIR setup today.

Attached picture 99D0C0A6-808F-4304-A61D-B1823B52D34C.jpeg
Attached picture 7F04DCE3-D444-4BDE-8AB9-E15C95C81F1D.jpeg
Attached picture B0176DF7-FAE8-4801-813C-D98A54D337EE.jpeg
Attached picture A2A1F1E3-E1F8-4DBF-9204-A00D276D09BF.jpeg
Attached picture 272AEECB-FD6E-47AE-8B50-4288F15AE43B.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 11/16/18 04:41 AM

Been a while but making progress. Took the panels down to bare metal, treated with phosphoric acid, etch primed, and sprayed 2k high build primer.

Attached picture 41E09CC5-3A30-4951-A689-9F0758BA354D.jpeg
Attached picture 3ADA7DCF-9C39-42B7-B3BF-1E7FC03F2788.jpeg
Attached picture D33ED7AE-16F7-4009-98D3-A93CC1236608.jpeg
Attached picture 58076D51-332D-4AEA-A35A-CEFD201E5433.jpeg
Attached picture F76C7FFA-B8ED-4846-86AC-F0E188639699.jpeg
Attached picture 50178FB2-74BD-4F71-8FCA-7520EDF32BC0.jpeg
Attached picture 4B5D6C5B-F4BE-407D-97D2-299B415BDB52.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 11/16/18 04:49 AM

Had the pleasure of replacing the wrong cam plug with the right one after it bucked out and was chewed up in the flex plate.

Attached picture BBAFE681-88E8-45FE-B83B-7EAC08FE1891.jpeg
Attached picture FDB6D4C4-5398-4A53-9534-4C6FB52D54DE.jpeg
Attached picture BD6171D5-0215-4E47-BA01-36CE1DC0AF5E.jpeg
Attached picture 2EFAEE77-7711-4C2F-B00C-C1454E65B689.jpeg
Attached picture 5C48A9CA-DC04-467E-A4AD-447167A9F95F.jpeg
Attached picture 8E0B443F-E745-4599-890C-F625FBA98BFC.jpeg
Attached picture 53C3AF55-9DA8-4A28-B4A4-04C5A7BCC26E.jpeg
Attached picture 72D64B7F-87DD-491E-BED2-B9E50544E068.jpeg
Attached picture F7D1E22E-0C2E-4B84-BA46-5E7BD61C6FB5.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 11/16/18 04:59 AM

Painted the underside of the hood, dash, and backs of fenders, fender extensions and valance with semi-gloss Black 2k paint. I didn’t like the chrome base of the shifter so I painted that too.

Attached picture 6B14A6C7-0068-4524-88C9-3D952481888B.jpeg
Attached picture C4764AD1-0A14-42CE-B91B-1CCB80593D59.jpeg
Attached picture 68E537FE-42A1-4826-845D-9DD5A6E28231.jpeg
Attached picture CEF7AB4D-EB6D-461C-A03B-99AD45490D62.jpeg
Attached picture 0418F64A-747C-4059-A916-FE2FD69E859E.jpeg
Attached picture 73057942-F263-4891-A060-F8E5365637BE.jpeg
Attached picture 005CFE6C-098D-4DCE-9981-E953A3E69C1F.jpeg
Attached picture D3900309-1ECF-47BE-A8F6-8A3437ECEACA.jpeg
Attached picture 989A6B66-5D92-4E53-8C84-494A46A2A3DF.jpeg
Attached picture 9CEDDCDB-7832-4FCA-8C95-7F0211524F28.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 11/16/18 05:07 AM

Block sanded the high build and started laying down the 2k red sealer primer, one step closer to getting the Solar Red base and clear coats on...

Attached picture 7E769E19-E4EA-4106-B165-DB67284F7A26.jpeg
Attached picture E6EE4A6F-AB66-4E98-90E7-C967249B186A.jpeg
Attached picture 4D3DC848-42A7-477D-A58E-7945E7DDC5EC.jpeg
Attached picture 5680BDEE-5BDE-468D-B5E9-CFE927C35FFF.jpeg
Attached picture C9B116EF-508B-44E5-B0F6-6FA62A36B234.jpeg
Attached picture 1537DA4A-11BF-46B5-941C-A93562A87065.jpeg
Attached picture B6851771-7B7E-48FB-976B-46AE515860C9.jpeg
Attached picture 92A1ECE8-0065-400F-8FCE-2B319CDF1193.jpeg
Attached picture 2EF1BF79-5F1B-4064-8BDF-9DEAED7CB29C.jpeg
Attached picture 66E0B219-0376-4A22-9560-F54EC051499C.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 11/16/18 05:15 AM

The dash:

Attached picture E16B2F89-F7F0-4188-B544-7AD88FC39389.jpeg
Attached picture 3A678C05-C424-4F9E-B8D2-9AED9646BFC9.jpeg
Attached picture FDC7E379-2D39-4705-BA93-C8D8B19995C5.jpeg
Attached picture CA25DAC8-FD70-41EB-8077-30FE01319AE4.jpeg
Attached picture 83B47797-FAC8-4082-AFB7-14D1C893942B.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 11/16/18 05:17 AM

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 11/16/18 02:16 PM

How it looked when I bought it up in Ohio. Guess I’ve come a long way.

Attached picture 300F5DB5-4030-412E-9157-42EDE9D706E3.jpeg
Attached picture A57EB78F-F79B-4844-85D8-2AD92050CE41.jpeg
Attached picture EEE421E7-8F31-4AFF-89DF-8CCCA8005C89.jpeg
Posted By: Firebob

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 11/17/18 01:27 AM

Looking real good. Like watching one of those fast motion 10 minutes builds from start to almost finished.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 01/06/19 06:55 AM

Got a bit done since last posting. About ready to shoot the Solar Red on and follow with clear coats. A couple of nickel and dime interior items left, but I’m getting pretty close to the finish line.

Attached picture F3389A41-94B0-4610-8993-900D19FBD777.jpeg
Attached picture ACC2EEF1-4FEA-4104-B15D-5D68002BA18D.jpeg
Attached picture C6B66927-F42B-4B2B-A139-7B1E87064E1E.jpeg
Attached picture 164CD898-6D13-402B-8402-C5F27F1C9196.jpeg
Attached picture 49CFF1BD-9384-40E1-9CF7-6CFD5CE41F7B.jpeg
Attached picture 9286FD83-9DAF-44E6-AA99-755DB78B5E3D.jpeg
Attached picture 397F9F73-1696-4D82-8BAB-6A73A810B09D.jpeg
Attached picture AE3488C5-CB1F-4770-832F-15E11158334A.jpeg
Attached picture 7509E81D-2B2C-43AC-98DC-11CA6C1E2C0C.jpeg
Attached picture 4D40A304-7A82-4866-A1FD-3045D47A61F0.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 01/06/19 07:09 AM

Passenger seat restoration.

Attached picture D20CE36A-926E-4EE2-AAB6-0C0552D7FCB8.jpeg
Attached picture 64004F2C-BA50-454D-AA93-D5A0E999294F.jpeg
Attached picture F5AB903C-AFFC-42B7-8F95-A22492CF77B3.jpeg
Attached picture C5F85EB4-A6DC-4B29-B52F-EEF789790166.jpeg
Attached picture B0E4E723-0DEC-464C-88F9-53D4728C6E6B.jpeg
Attached picture 45C586AC-A6DC-460E-80D6-D48CCB24C39E.jpeg
Attached picture 899FC122-51B8-4654-80CF-ECD80282EE5F.jpeg
Attached picture DD516929-AC58-4A2D-AFF9-50973202A4A4.jpeg
Attached picture 1C6FF7A9-30E8-435C-9D1F-7293DFE60DA3.jpeg
Attached picture 8154B7F2-20BE-48A2-BDBB-48424EEEC6FB.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 01/08/19 09:34 PM

Hood, doors, cowl, gas fill door, and driver fender got color coats. Can’t wait to see how it looks with the clear coat.

Attached picture 4501BEBD-8071-4A64-8425-CBF135AF3A5C.jpeg
Attached picture 3DADF776-12CA-4CA7-8EE4-E4ABEC8ECA90.jpeg
Attached picture 0C1A07C6-B929-4769-A3C4-00CBFEFE5FA9.jpeg
Attached picture 33622B3A-8902-49D1-ABB1-78B72629F230.jpeg
Attached picture 45F185FB-589C-4E70-8246-8239C79A39B6.jpeg
Attached picture B441CF3B-B145-4570-8748-71BD61DEA541.jpeg
Attached picture 327B9F82-7B6E-4A79-82A5-E9D4C2876B3C.jpeg
Attached picture 29B02DEC-C7C8-4B04-9EA9-3A8E81B405A2.jpeg
Attached picture F5F6EE6B-0DF3-47BA-BC69-CF37B3FFD3FD.jpeg
Attached picture 69EB20B2-404B-4B63-809C-097C431129A4.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 01/14/19 12:57 AM

Passenger fender and body color coats on.

Attached picture 3F7C83A3-2566-478B-A286-C36D0299C468.jpeg
Attached picture DA4C10DD-95BA-4D9F-A0C0-34F61FE36D4A.jpeg
Attached picture 8EF71D7E-0F96-4AA7-9234-D81DE757B2A9.jpeg
Attached picture 8B2C4ABF-9FAB-4001-B25C-737D07EAB162.jpeg
Attached picture 319F0F66-D929-4044-964B-261CFA4A85A1.jpeg
Attached picture 9286BEE6-DA52-4923-8315-4696225EA71A.jpeg
Attached picture F7F586FA-4A43-4D7B-87B4-C663C240D1AB.jpeg
Attached picture C7DEBCA7-1CBD-495D-B140-7913AD1E5046.jpeg
Attached picture 9FE649A7-B603-4606-9465-7FDF052726DC.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 01/16/19 11:34 PM

Got to see my recent paint work in the daylight finally. I’m pretty pleased. Drilling holes for the wheel well trim.

Attached picture 077D8FE7-D156-48AB-8FD5-65305D96CD21.jpeg
Attached picture 709424C8-18EC-419E-9D4E-E2CEE9FD332D.jpeg
Attached picture DF6F522A-C5B0-46D2-87D1-86B7FA0133C4.jpeg
Attached picture 0325C3D6-5A43-4FF9-973F-64FCBE7F1988.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 01/28/19 06:49 PM

Got some of the panels clearcoated and installed the rearview mirror and all glass except the passenger door’s. Should have all paint done next week if all goes as planned.

Attached picture 914A6EDC-5763-43DD-830A-91FBA9CCE75E.jpeg
Attached picture BC3BEBF5-96CB-4F78-86D7-F48E8200D5A0.jpeg
Attached picture 0A923D45-66BD-45F2-B69F-ED32EFEBEA32.jpeg
Attached picture 156BF172-2D6B-407A-A29A-584D3DBB4C65.jpeg
Attached picture D1253811-0633-4089-98E8-992ABCED2A43.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 01/29/19 04:38 PM

You a one man ... crew! WOW! I'm tired just looking at your progress. Nice job. Can I load up my trailer and come see you to finish up my bird? lol

You don't really paint outside right? Because if you do you must have awesome weather

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 01/31/19 10:41 PM

Thanks, I’ve learned quite a bit doing it all myself. Had to redo a few things, but nothing major.

I have been spraying the paint outside... I purposely aimed for this time of year because geographically it’s low humidity, no bugs, and gets warm enough for paint to flash properly. It doesn’t drop in temp too low so condensation isn’t that bad but I did find that setting the clearcoated parts in the garage overnight prevented hazing. I had a little on the fender I left out but the door I set inside turned out perfect. Basically the moisture drew into the outer layer of clear and I was able to cut and buff it out.

If I ever do this again I’ll rent a booth, but I’ve done everything in my driveway so far and I’m going to see it through even if it means more sanding and buffing...

I’m hoping to have the paint done by this Wednesday and my goal is to have it on the road by late March/early April.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 02/02/19 01:25 AM

Well your doing a great job. I'm painting mine in my garage. I have a home made exhaust fan system. The new guns use less air pressure, less paint and atomize exceptionally well resulting in very little paint dust. And then your sanding & polishing as well!

I hope your using a good mask. Make sure people don't breath in those vapors. I did a lot of work with bad chemicals when I was a teenager. I guess it's possible I contracted PD as a result. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck!
Posted By: Cal H

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 02/04/19 03:09 AM

You are doing a bang up job there BenNSB. Keep posting those pics for us!

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 02/06/19 03:33 AM

Worked from 8:30am until 7pm today getting the clearcoat done. Hoping to get everything bolted back together on Friday.

Attached picture 6A4B96A2-CC35-4F26-8780-639C5A31AC98.jpeg
Attached picture 6739F704-1438-4960-B751-2212C69ADAEE.jpeg
Attached picture 9F1F29A9-71DA-4B32-997F-7B2304C82FBB.jpeg
Attached picture 25306106-F59F-4CEA-A0E1-AB73C3AC79EE.jpeg
Attached picture 90BF51B1-18F6-47DF-8FDB-A6149536A252.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 02/06/19 03:34 AM

https://youtu.be/uK362B5dysM

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 02/06/19 06:00 PM

awesome
Posted By: Cal H

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 02/08/19 01:56 AM

Looking good!

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 02/10/19 12:48 AM

Posted By: YJ_Aaron

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 02/10/19 02:06 PM

Looks awesome, it was fun going all the way through your thread.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 02/17/19 02:37 AM

My first gens side by side. The car’s a bit lower than I thought. 😁

Attached picture 34CCB68C-3B36-4F63-8F05-78BAC35D04A3.jpeg
Attached picture DE202B60-DE72-4BD3-9FAD-E7360AA14B6C.jpeg
Attached picture B8F824B7-79A7-4DDE-A462-1C1D007C6417.jpeg
Attached picture 52E93836-A2AD-4E72-BD00-4F903BC583D9.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 02/19/19 11:34 PM

Got the passenger door glass in today and drove it around the block. The 200-4R shifted nicely through 1st, 2nd, and Drive. Don’t know about overdrive just yet, can’t go that fast in the neighborhood. Time for final panel fitment and running the wiring harness.

Attached picture 9BEE607A-1D5D-4F13-85C4-FB654A6114EA.jpeg
Attached picture F56EFE5D-678B-4F73-84F9-8E315CBF793A.jpeg
Attached picture 1BFFB227-8BC0-423E-A0FA-24C8FDB5D399.jpeg
Attached picture 041E4F34-8FB2-45CA-8F6B-924E5711DD04.jpeg
Attached picture 78CE8F8D-F514-416A-8CAB-8B11C242E63B.jpeg
Attached picture D068F028-BFCC-4A14-84A8-0E5B380FB5FB.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 03/06/19 02:08 AM

Getting close to completion, I think it should be finished by late next month...

Attached picture 4B574E5C-1E58-4289-8D85-260D74F7055D.jpeg
Attached picture C707ED65-CC39-452D-B31D-FB1C572534E4.jpeg
Attached picture F2ECFCF7-BE97-40E5-B82A-105A2CB0CE85.png
Attached picture C4CB5F9B-451B-4C19-B1DD-B80785D0F8BD.jpeg
Attached picture 4C7EF4A2-B39A-403C-BB1D-5DB61EAC788D.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 03/06/19 09:57 AM

Looking good Ben, you have come along way!

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 03/10/19 03:29 PM

Keep going Ben, Looking great!

Bill V.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 03/15/19 03:37 AM

Worked on the wiring harness and installed sound deadening. Started on the carpet before packing it in for the day.

Attached picture 842BF506-A543-4116-AA6F-0DD64B9F7223.jpeg
Attached picture 93920188-228B-48F9-BEEF-B5E812840197.jpeg
Attached picture 81B6C7E4-F896-47E8-9A2B-D4A20BFB2D84.jpeg
Attached picture ECC19F37-8DD6-4C69-AB53-28CE5625AB08.jpeg
Attached picture FD483F7F-3AD5-49AC-BC0A-EAF7F4CEA330.jpeg
Posted By: anna sanders

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 03/15/19 04:39 AM

Oh, I bet the Firebird radio is a classic even on idle mode.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 03/21/19 12:05 AM

Cleaned up the wiring in the engine bay. Wired the fuel injection and fan relays, next up under the dash.

Attached picture E0673D12-E6A4-48D1-838B-99861C8F13DF.jpeg
Attached picture DEB2EA6F-41B7-45E7-BEB5-54C19D73B71A.jpeg
Attached picture 7C087025-A59B-4886-ADE8-368D000AE172.jpeg
Attached picture 8C465377-C0D3-434D-B3F3-23CE8225871B.jpeg
Attached picture 4E6B68AE-B04F-4F7D-B74C-A352D1B98A94.jpeg
Attached picture 428B831C-5A70-4EEB-BE90-29503D637A5C.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/05/19 03:49 AM

Maiden voyage went well, she got me to work and back yesterday. Haven’t gone full throttle yet but boy is she torquey. 😁

Attached picture 9517B331-B357-4CE8-92C6-347E8406EC4E.jpeg
Attached picture A9AE308F-F2BC-44E6-9493-AF06BFAE9283.jpeg
Attached picture D02C3398-31E5-4F14-968D-406573158B83.jpeg
Attached picture CAEDB822-F3F2-45FA-9187-38A03D49FF44.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/08/19 08:13 AM

90% done...

Attached picture 5DEFFB3C-81E0-43B5-85FF-656EA6C6B94F.jpeg
Attached picture C4E7FAA6-497D-4693-AEB1-E8524EC8623C.jpeg
Attached picture 15F30906-02A4-4BAA-9286-37A6BF1C7D3C.jpeg
Attached picture DE98C8C6-651D-434A-8523-15BAB903D38D.jpeg
Attached picture 22D823A2-4F36-43A4-94E7-15AA4C52F487.jpeg
Attached picture 4A9AA836-1BE9-4C04-8FEF-57D2675F9477.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/09/19 12:21 AM

Looking good! What is the 10% left?

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/09/19 11:58 PM

Interior and electrical odds and ends, then air conditioning.

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/22/19 02:11 AM

Finished a 2 hour test drive with zero issues today. Temp stayed at 190-195 at the heads. I’ve got myself another highway cruiser. 😎

Attached picture 65A138D0-2C2B-4162-BCB1-D5EB5E32DB6B.jpeg
Attached picture ACA77485-F782-46F3-9EA9-F71F90D43320.jpeg
Attached picture 41B232AE-BAEF-423A-839F-726C011A1E46.jpeg
Attached picture C27C4CA4-5789-4DD1-8712-C308ACBC4445.jpeg
Posted By: Purple haze

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 04/24/19 02:35 PM

Very Nice

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 06/29/19 01:50 AM

Going back through old pictures on my phone. Hard to believe it’s the same car.

Attached picture BAA7B59D-5109-47A1-AD1C-376273D46540.jpeg
Attached picture 494B66DD-0E47-4628-901F-8FF9E5933705.jpeg

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 07/19/19 04:45 AM

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 09/25/19 04:59 AM

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 09/27/19 01:17 AM

Sounds nice! Saw the pictures on FB today...

Re: My 1968 Firebird build - 10/14/19 04:05 AM

Installing a Vintage Air Sure Fit IV air conditioning kit. So far so good. The A/C crimp tool was a worthwhile eBay purchase.

Attached picture 37682D73-3717-4C81-BEAE-C9A19B0D49BA.jpeg
Attached picture 9DFCA669-7F49-4EB1-B2AE-D620BC99496E.jpeg
Attached picture 039EE735-7C0C-4B23-9BBF-4AF639710E94.jpeg
Attached picture 81FBBF1B-9105-4F60-B82C-F8559241359B.jpeg
Attached picture 1631C720-8C20-44C3-9900-04022591B0F6.jpeg
Attached picture 319708A8-C5DC-4432-9FFC-0833A10D2CF7.jpeg
Attached picture 1738F687-5B49-4469-BB1F-660875E93D42.jpeg
Attached picture DEAED03F-135D-419A-8377-5392E40F5EF1.jpeg
Attached picture 8A6353E1-7FDD-4DF7-9235-7036A89A4ED2.jpeg
Attached picture 06DCE394-432B-4A37-9D9D-E5EB0EE436D0.jpeg
© 2019 Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)