First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Firebob Traction( or lack of it) - 08/05/19 12:21 AM
It's been awhile since I really gave the car a thrashing. Used to be if I didn't force the issue at least a little bit when I took her out I felt a bit cheated but I haven't heated her up for awhile. So before I came back home today I took her down by the Jr high where there aren't any house to speak of and lit her up a bit. Absolutely no traction through first and all the way through second. I wasn't sure until I let of the gas and felt it finally get some grip. The motor is an absolute beast. I'm sure if I ever did get traction the rear end would explode so it's probably a good thing.
Just had to brag a little. Haters allowed.
Posted By: bigchief Re: Traction( or lack of it) - 08/05/19 03:29 AM
I drag raced the little 8.2 for many years with slicks and plenty of traction never had a problem.
Posted By: Firebob Re: Traction( or lack of it) - 08/06/19 12:43 AM
Yeah but it only has to blow once and I'm in for a big bill I'd rather avoid if I can. It's not what I built the car for anyways. Just fun to go burn some fuel once in awhile.
Posted By: Dr. Drivability Re: Traction( or lack of it) - 08/06/19 02:09 PM
So Bob, you have a hybrid...it burns gas and rubber! laugh
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Traction( or lack of it) - 08/06/19 02:16 PM
Waaa. I have so much power my wheels spin
Posted By: Firebob Re: Traction( or lack of it) - 08/11/19 09:33 PM
I know right? What a whiner!😜
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Traction( or lack of it) - 08/11/19 09:42 PM
😜
Posted By: Bronze Bird Re: Traction( or lack of it) - 08/13/19 03:09 AM
Boo yah!

I have backed off of the burnouts, especially after pricing a new pair of BFG T/A’s. Switched to Cooper Cobras since they are about half the price.

I have a set of Kelly’s on my stock rims. They are so old and hard, i was able to spin both wheels with an open rear end.
Posted By: Firebob Re: Traction( or lack of it) - 08/13/19 01:01 PM
Be careful. Those old hard rubber tires can get scary real fast.
Posted By: oldskool Re: Traction( or lack of it) - 08/13/19 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by bigchief
I drag raced the little 8.2 for many years with slicks and plenty of traction never had a problem.

We also raced with the 8.2. No problems down into the high 12's, with 400 engines.

But, with an almost stock '70 455, an 8.2 lasted for a few races, then broke the pinion & oiled down the track. frown
Posted By: Firebob Re: Traction( or lack of it) - 08/14/19 02:32 AM
I suppose way more tq with the 455 was enough to do it in. I'm in that boat already. The 4sp probably makes it even worse. I bought one of those rear end girdles that put some preload on the bearing caps. Maybe that will give me some wiggle room.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)