First Generation Firebird
Posted By: thews Re: Firebird Mysteries - 01/26/08 07:35 PM
Newbie... sorry if I'm in the wrong spot, but I need some advice. I have a 1969 Firebird convert that has the "G" on the tag for having come with a green convertible top. I've been searching for some documentation on how many green top first gen birds had colored tops, breaking them out by number/color/year. Has anyone come across this? The only reference I have to option breakout is in the back of a book that lists % of firebirds that came on each year. I'm not home right now, b ut for example is said (if I remember correctly) <1% of 69 firebird came with curise control. Anyone have any idea? Thanks, Greg.
Posted By: Fbody69 Re: Firebird Mysteries - 01/26/08 07:37 PM
There is no production breakdown for color options.
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Firebird Mysteries - 01/26/08 08:40 PM
Be very leery of any published breakdowns for first gen Firebirds. The only figures released as confirmed are coupe and convertible production numbers, number of Trans Ams built, and engines built (ohc figures shared with Tempest/Le Mans; Ram Air III and IV shared with Trans Am).

Most other published figures are extrapolated from this data using best-guess technique. Until/unless all the PHS billing histories are entered into a database and sorted by model and year, there may never be accurate breakdowns of any option, including color.
Posted By: thews Re: Firebird Mysteries - 01/26/08 08:56 PM
Originally Posted By Yellowbird
Be very leery of any published breakdowns for first gen Firebirds. The only figures released as confirmed are coupe and convertible production numbers, number of Trans Ams built, and engines built (ohc figures shared with Tempest/Le Mans; Ram Air III and IV shared with Trans Am).

Most other published figures are extrapolated from this data using best-guess technique. Until/unless all the PHS billing histories are entered into a database and sorted by model and year, there may never be accurate breakdowns of any option, including color.

Thanks. I haven't entered this car into a registry, but I'd guess a registry would have this data of the converts in it since it's part of the body tag data.

I should have ordered the PHS docs for this car a long time ago, b ut never did. It came in Champagne aith a green interior and green top. When I bought it (10 years ago for $6500) it had a black interior (green dyed) and a black top. I changed the interior to white and the top to white, and I was going to paint it dark green. Now I find out it was an odd duck in that came with a green top, so now I have to change the interior back to green and the top to green before I paint it.
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Firebird Mysteries - 01/26/08 09:20 PM
Since not all cars built will ever be in any registry, the only data that can be published by a registry is the sampling it has taken. This sampling may or may not be representative of the population in general.

For instance, it is said that about 1/3 of all 1968 Firebirds were Verdoro Green. Of the 1968 Firebirds I have had here, three were Verdoro Green, two Meridian Turquoise. Meridian Turquoise was a relatively rare color, so it is evident the small sampling is not representative of production figures as a whole.

My '67 was Coronado Gold, a rare spring color, and my '69 is Goldenrod Yellow, a special order uncommon color.
Posted By: Fbody69 Re: Firebird Mysteries - 01/26/08 11:45 PM
Just the thought that there is information in the form of invoices on record and no one that has access has ever compiled a data base that can be searched in any other way than VIN is beyond me.
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Firebird Mysteries - 01/27/08 12:25 AM
I don't believe the database can be searched by VIN. I think the microfiche are in order, and searches made manually. Not certain, though.

I have always thought that a database would be the logical solution.
Posted By: Geoff Re: Firebird Mysteries - 01/27/08 04:25 AM
Vikki is correct about the microfiche. Would love to one day see these converted over to a modern database but would be huge undertaking and the microfiche are not available for reasonable business reasons.

The registry is not a valid sample as it depends on people to enter data, enter it correctly, and then for me to properly code the data retrieval. The last I need to work on while maintaining confidentiality of identifiable information (ie VIN). If I only had more time in the week as I have been promising it for awhile now.
Posted By: Geoff Production Numbers/Information - 01/27/08 04:26 AM
See posts moved here.
Posted By: Kurt S Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/02/08 09:36 AM
I can't help you directly, but I did the paint breakdowns for Camaros. Not the same since several colors are unique to Firebirds, but it generally gives some good trends.
http://www.camaros.org/exterior.shtml#ColorPercentages

I have some data for F-birds but it's small. Nothing to hang your hat on, but it shows that 72 and 73 were about the same (~11%), which is really close to the numbers for 57 and 72 for Camaros.
76 is running about 5%.

Doing a database is a lot of work. I manage the one for CRG and it's at 15,000 cars. The logistics for entering that much data is mind boggling. And it's a 10MB Excel file...

Champagne is a rare color. I've only actually seen it on a full-size car in a junkyard!

Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/02/08 09:18 PM
Champagne is a little more frequently seen in Firebirds. I'v only seen one Linden Green, though.
Posted By: ruffnutt Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/17/08 03:13 AM
how many you think were yellow?
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/18/08 07:57 AM
I know of 5 original Goldenrod Yellow '69s, one yellow '68.
Posted By: ruffnutt Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/21/08 06:59 PM
yeah...i got one of 5...is that just convertibles or coupes also?
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/21/08 08:05 PM
Mine's a vert, there is another within a couple miles of me, and another across town. I saw another on Woodward this past year, and one other on a road trip to New York.

All convertibles.

Plus I've seen a few on eBay with the Goldenrod Yellow code.
Posted By: ruffnutt Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/21/08 09:26 PM
all with black interior?
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/21/08 09:32 PM
Two with parchment, 3 with black
Posted By: ruffnutt Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/22/08 01:18 AM
whoa...another with parchment...cool haven't seen many like mine, only one other yellow,parcment 207 and a white top.
Posted By: Ron B Re: Production Numbers/Information - 05/05/09 06:40 PM
HOW DO I POST A NEW TOPIC IN THIS SECTION????

WHERE IS THE REGISTRY??? IS THE SITE DOWN??

I'm researching my 69 Bird. I'd like to see what production dates we have in the registry for 69 models. Earliest and latest.

Please help me!!!!

Thanks,
Ron
Posted By: Z_Firebird Re: Production Numbers/Information - 05/06/09 12:23 AM
Quote:
HOW DO I POST A NEW TOPIC IN THIS SECTION????
It looks like the "Research" section does not allow new topics, but you can start a new topic in the "Ramblings and Chatter" section.

Quote:
WHERE IS THE REGISTRY??? IS THE SITE DOWN??
My understanding is the site allows uploading, but the data has not yet been compiled.

Quote:
I'd like to see what production dates we have in the registry for 69 models. Earliest and latest.
You might try to send a message or email direct to this site's owner, Geoff Martin, but be advised he is an infrequent visitor, who is likely very overwhelmed with his day job and family- (as we all are). The only other repository of information is PHS documentation, but that is privately owned and no data analysis is available other than for your own vehicle. Try using the "search" function on the forums here, as well as the "Frequently asked Questions" section. You may be able to find when Pontiac ran its 1969 production. I do know it was late- as many refer to '69 as 69 & 1/2

Hope that helps. and welcome to the site!
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Production Numbers/Information - 05/06/09 03:13 AM
Production dates in general, or for a particular plant?

223379L100001 had a production date of 08A.
Posted By: kh69bird Re: Production Numbers/Information - 06/12/10 04:53 AM
I,m trying to fined out if my motor is correct to the car.
Posted By: Yellowbird Re: Production Numbers/Information - 06/20/10 07:11 PM
Down behind the lower radiator hose, stamped on the front face of the block next to the timing cover, is the engine VIN stamp. The last 8 digits should match the last 8 of the dash VIN tag.
Posted By: thews Re: Production Numbers/Information - 01/08/13 04:51 AM
Thanks for the info. I ordered the PHS docs for this car and found out it's a 350HO. Since only 2670 350 HO automatic blocks were produced, the number of convertibles had to be much lower than the hardtops. Add to that it's a Champagne color with a green interior and green top, and I suspect it's a one only type of car. Why doesn't PHS produce he numbers like Ford's "Martini" does? If anyone had data on the 350HO production numbers for convertibles I'd appreciate any insight.
Posted By: thews Re: Production Numbers/Information - 01/20/13 07:22 PM
I crunched some numbers on the 69 Pontiac Firebirds equipped with the 350 HO engine.

Total production Hardtops = 75362
Total production Convertible = 11649
% convertible = 15.5%

Total 350 HO manual WN engines = 2455
Total 350 HO auto XC engines = 2670
% for each is about 3%, so a total production of 6% were 350HO.

Assuming the 350HO was produced in same ratio of 15.5% in the convertibles, that would come out to 686 total 350HO 69 convertibles.

When the ratio of 69 Trans Am's in Hardtop (689) vs. convertible (8) is broken down, only 1.1% were converts.

If the Trans AM 1.1% convertible ratio is used, the total 350HO production would be 59 converts with the 350HO. Assuming this curve wouldn't be linear, it makes the 112 350 HO convertible number believable.

I've seen the 112 total 350 HO convertible number on the web and that is was verified by PHS, but I've not seen this published anywhere. If anyone can verify this I'd appreciate it.

2 cents - Assuming the higher performance engine would reduce the number of convertibles, then the total production for 400 convertible cars would reflect this. Does anyone have the total number of 69 Firebird convertibles produced with either the 400 or 400HO broken down?

I also found the number of Lemans/Tempest 350HO auto XU engines produced was 2800, but I can't verify this, nor do I know how many manual WV engines were produced. If anyone has these numbers I'd appreciate them.
Posted By: Kurt S Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/06/13 10:11 PM
Anytime you start combining option %'s, you're making guesses.
And I think you're going the wrong way - I'd say more than 6% convertibles since it's a lower hp engine.
Posted By: thews Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/07/13 01:45 AM
Originally Posted By Kurt S
Anytime you start combining option %'s, you're making guesses.
And I think you're going the wrong way - I'd say more than 6% convertibles since it's a lower hp engine.

I don't understand why you mean by a lower hp engine. You have the base 6, 6 Sprint, 350, 350HO, 400, 400 HO and RAIV. I am making guesses because I don't have the data, but the logic assumes convertibles would be less likely to be ordered with a higher HP engine.

The total of 112 69 Firebirds with the 350HO is floating around the web and it originated from West Peterson (Editor of Antique Automobile), but the link is now dead.

Posted By: Kurt S Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/09/13 04:11 AM
Most L6 cars weren't convertibles. So that leaves 350 and 350HO as the volume convertibles.
Posted By: thews Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/09/13 05:36 AM
Most L6 cars weren't convertibles. So that leaves 350 and 350HO as the volume convertibles.

What data are you using?
Posted By: Kurt S Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/11/13 08:21 AM
Production totals.
No matter what, any combo of options is a WAG.
Posted By: thews Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/14/13 02:35 PM
Production totals.

The only production totals known is the number of engines built and the number of hardtop vs. convertibles. When you said, "Most L6 cars weren't convertibles. So that leaves 350 and 350HO as the volume convertibles", this is an opinion and not supported by any released data I know of.
Posted By: wovenweb Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/14/13 03:22 PM
Originally Posted By thews
Production totals.

The only production totals known is the number of engines built and the number of hardtop vs. convertibles. When you said, "Most L6 cars weren't convertibles. So that leaves 350 and 350HO as the volume convertibles", this is an opinion and not supported by any released data I know of.

Anything other than high level numbers are a guess. Unless PHS and crew have gone through every record and categorized them. It would take forever but would be much closer to definitive than the X% were this and X% were that so maybe X number of cars were optioned this way methodology that is used.

My WAG is that you will see a lot of clustering, similar options chosen on many cars.
Posted By: Kurt S Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/23/13 10:27 AM
Originally Posted By thews
Production totals.

No, I'm extrapolating from Camaro data. Production data on Camaro L6 cars is available and I also have data on almost 20,000 cars, so it's not a huge leap....
Posted By: Jarett Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/24/13 02:23 AM
Camaro's were marketed to a different crowd, so I would expect them to be ordered/produced in different numbers for the engine/body combos.
Posted By: Kurt S Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/26/13 07:49 AM
I have Firebird data too. And I guestimated to compensate for that.
But I *am* using data to support what I'm saying.

OK, I'll ask - so how many L6 Firebird convertibles have you seen?
How many 350 Firebird convertibles?
And 400 Firebird convertibles?

My data shows the L6's being pretty uncommon - well under 10%.
Problem is the 400's show up on ebay more since they are more desirable. Which skews perception and data.
Posted By: hokie1984 Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/26/13 04:05 PM
I also think the data gets skewed as the years pass. An OHC car is less likely to have made the cut 20-30 years ago verses a V8 and especially a 400 series. It simply went to the wrecking yard. However, I am not sure that was the case the day they were built. Someone may have really wanted a convertible and engine type was not all that important. To save money, they opted for the OHC. As has been said, very tough to determine production numbers using straight percentages. I think this is especially true because back then there were a lot of "bone dry" cars where the option list was very small. Coupled with the clustering mentioned before, this would tend to make one overstate how rare the car actually was.
Posted By: Sneakers Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/26/13 07:34 PM
Newbie, would like to know where to find the PHS and to register it? ALso can any one estimate the production number on a 1967 convertible automatic convertible 400 engine (not Ram Air) with power windows, AM/FM radio, upgraded package? Thanks. I dont think there are many automatics. Thanks
Posted By: Sneakers Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/26/13 07:35 PM
Is PHS similar to the build sheet?
Posted By: salmon38 Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/26/13 09:04 PM
Originally Posted By Sneakers
Newbie, would like to know where to find the PHS and to register it? ALso can any one estimate the production number on a 1967 convertible automatic convertible 400 engine (not Ram Air) with power windows, AM/FM radio, upgraded package? Thanks. I dont think there are many automatics. Thanks

PHS

I believe they provide estimates these days on number of similar cars built (a la Marti reports) due to the competition and based on the information they have,

HOWEVER, realize that this is a small office putting data manually off of microfiche.

Yes, PHS docs are similar to build sheet but less detailed. At least they cover all the options chosen for a particular vehicle - NOT every component installed.
Posted By: OHCMarc Re: Production Numbers/Information - 02/27/13 06:53 AM

Posted By: Rocky Rotella Re: Production Numbers/Information - 03/24/13 08:41 PM
I am gathering detailed production numbers for a project I am working on. Might anyone have any Pontiac-published production numbers they may be able to email me?
Posted By: plmcrzy Re: Production Numbers/Information - 03/24/13 09:13 PM
I don't have the pontiac published numbers, but I do recognize you name from a great mag, HPP. Ive been a subscriber for years.Glad to have you here and welcome to the club!

Regards, Mark..........
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Production Numbers/Information - 03/25/13 03:19 AM
Try to get this book or CD (Firebird Redbook).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIREBIRD-RED-BOO...=item5aef1c8b9c

Posted By: colorado68 Re: Production Numbers/Information - 03/25/13 06:20 AM
Originally Posted By Rocky Rotella
I am gathering detailed production numbers for a project I am working on. Might anyone have any Pontiac-published production numbers they may be able to email me?

Any specific year or engine size you're looking for?
Posted By: Rocky Rotella Re: Production Numbers/Information - 03/26/13 02:41 AM
Thanks guys. Looking for obscure production numbers that might not otherwise be included in typical reference guides.

Also, on an unrelated subject, is there an option that provides an email notification to new replies? I didn't see one.
Posted By: Rocky Rotella Re: Production Numbers/Information - 03/26/13 02:41 AM
Thanks guys. Looking for obscure production numbers that might not otherwise be included in typical reference guides.

Also, on an unrelated subject, is there an option that provides an email notification to new replies? I didn't see one.
Posted By: salmon38 Re: Production Numbers/Information - 03/26/13 01:56 PM
Originally Posted By Rocky Rotella

Yes. It's a radio button under My Preferences under My Stuff. Just above the time of day format box.
Posted By: Banshee Re: Production Numbers/Information - 03/31/13 05:39 AM
Obscure production numbers?

Options?

Drivetrain?

Coupe/Vert

400 HO, Sprint, Ram Air, 400, 350, 350 HO 326/HO

What exactly are you seeking?
Posted By: Banshee Re: Production Numbers/Information - 03/31/13 05:41 AM
I would talk to Mike Noun...

Or Jim Mattison.

I will call him and forward your number if requested.
Posted By: Rocky Rotella Re: Production Numbers/Information - 04/01/13 03:50 AM
Thanks, Banshee. I've got some production numbers. I'm just wondering if anyone has anything other than what's commonly known.
Posted By: Sleddog Re: Production Numbers/Information - 04/02/13 02:34 PM
Banshee does... grin And I think it's for sale..(maybe) He has an eye for those type of things..
Posted By: Rocky Rotella Re: Production Numbers/Information - 04/03/13 05:06 AM
Do tell!
Posted By: Rocky Rotella Re: Production Numbers/Information - 04/04/13 02:18 PM
I noticed that on this page https://firstgenfirebird.org/firebird/1967/history.html the following information appears:

According to a note by engineer Ben Harrison, by the end of March over 33,000 Firebirds were sold, 77.8 percent had V-8 engines, 70.4 percent automatic transmissions, 29.1 percent dual exhausts, 16.7 percent air conditioning, 15.3 percent four-speed manual transmissions, 13.8 percent limited-slip differential, 7.4 percent equipped with front disc brakes, 4.2 percent with front bench seat, 3.8 percent with adjustable steering column, 2.5 percent with power windows, and 0.5 percent with cruise control. The production year ended in September '67.

Might anyone have a copy of this memo? Or any other memos like it for 1967 to 1969?
Posted By: 68tpls400 Re: Production Numbers/Information - 04/04/13 02:58 PM
I don't have a copy, but the most interesting stat that jumps out at me is the 4.2 percent for bench seat.

After all, bench seat was standard, not buckets! I wonder how many 'pure stock' fgf's sold each year without a single 'option'?
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)