First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Diamicton Stuck rad support gusset to fender screws - 08/07/18 01:36 AM
Hi all,

I'm trying to remove the radiator support and can not get the screws out where it meets the fender. Looks like they're painted on. Has anyone run into this and solved it? I don't think they're rusted, just maybe super tight and then painted over. Do I try and score where the screw meets the fender? Do I try and heat the screw? Other ideas?

Thanks

Attached picture IMG_2279.jpg
Posted By: cme469 Re: Stuck rad support gusset to fender screws - 08/07/18 01:46 AM
Those are always a bugger. Yours look like they were out for your paint job, so probably are not rusted in. Remember they are not Phillips. You need the right tool.
Thanks. I thought they are #4 Phillips so I got one of those bits. I guess that's not the case. I'll keep researching, but if you can point me to the right tool, I'd appreciate it.
Posted By: cme469 Re: Stuck rad support gusset to fender screws - 08/07/18 02:02 AM
Can't recall what it's called, but there was a thread about that not long ago that someone came up with the name. Give it a day or two and you'll get an answer. confused
They look like Phillips but they are actually #4 Pozidriv. Still, even with the correct bit they are difficult to remove.

Attached picture Pozidrive4.jpg
Attached picture PozidrivePhillips.jpg
Perfect. Thanks for the help. Hopefully it helps me get them out, or at least prevents stripping them.
Might want to het them with a punch and hammer in the center a few times..that usually helps breaking them loose.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)