First Generation Firebird

Open scoops

Posted By: Bob S.

Open scoops - 11/14/18 02:26 PM

Has anybody cut closed scoops to make open scoops? Is there a reason I can’t do that and need to buy open scoops?
Posted By: rohrt

Re: Open scoops - 11/14/18 02:53 PM

Take your time be patient. Hole saw, dremel and touch up paint.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic3
Posted By: salmon38

Re: Open scoops - 11/14/18 03:17 PM

I also did it very slowly with a Dremel.
Posted By: Gus68

Re: Open scoops - 11/14/18 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bob S.
Has anybody cut closed scoops to make open scoops? Is there a reason I can’t do that and need to buy open scoops?

Back in the day I cut a pair. If you can buy open ones for a reasonable price I'd go that route. In the end you have 2 good OEM parts whereas you cut, then you have one buggered pair.
Posted By: salmon38

Re: Open scoops - 11/14/18 05:56 PM

The ones I cut were repops because my OEM ones had a stud broken off. But that was before you could purchase open repops. So yes, that is probably the way to go these days.

Re: Open scoops - 11/14/18 06:58 PM

Are the repop open ones plastic?
Posted By: 68tpls400

Re: Open scoops - 11/14/18 09:10 PM

Keep in mind that repop hood scoops do not fit original hoods, and vice versa. So don't buy and cut just to find that out later.

Re: Open scoops - 11/15/18 12:24 AM

Really? I scored a nice original hood. Repop open scoops won’t work?

Re: Open scoops - 11/15/18 02:56 AM

Better check them.
Posted By: USMC_Ordy

Re: Open scoops - 11/15/18 09:47 AM

The repop once I bought are not plastic, but like 68 said better check them if you go that route. Better to test fit them first and see if they fit correctly and return them if they don't..

Re: Open scoops - 11/15/18 01:15 PM

I think I may have one original left if anyone needs one. Don't remember which side though.
Posted By: Bjorn Sefeldt

Re: Open scoops - 11/15/18 03:16 PM

Ive seen on friends cars, buth totally open , and slotted....mine stayed closed
Posted By: Kellico

Re: Open scoops - 11/16/18 12:44 PM

What are the advantages in opening them up, I presume it is to get more air in the engine but will it not let to much in at high speed not to mention the bugs and if it is raining ?

Re: Open scoops - 11/16/18 03:25 PM

I am planning to go with the ram air setup. Mostly for coolness factor. Bringing in cool air is also somewhat beneficial.

Re: Open scoops - 11/16/18 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bob S.
I am planning to go with the ram air setup. Mostly for coolness factor. Bringing in cool air is also somewhat beneficial.

Heh Bob,
If your opening them up for the RAM air setup then IMO blow holes in those puppies and let the air in! RAM Air setup is very cool and it does add value to your car. They found the location of the scope are wrong in that at higher speeds it tends to draw air out as opposed to in. That's why you see the formula hood on the 69 TA hood with the scoops at the very front. Real facing shakers eventually become the norm.

I spent the wad on my 389 TriPower engine (for my 65 Pontiac) just because of the triple 2 bbr battleship. Nothing else like it.

IMO, if you keep the car stock bu you want more accessories etc. just find other stock components to add to your car without it requiring irreversible changes.

I am going to add the following additional STOCK options:
- tilt steering
- console clock
- cruise control
- power brakes
- 67 Tall type Hood tach
- fold down rear seat
- seat extenders (from Bill Edmunds)
- '72 Pontiac overflow tank
- NOS late 1970's red line bias ply tires (show only)
- custom interior seats (I have both std and custom seats)
- Remote mirror
- RH mirror

Re: Open scoops - 11/16/18 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kellico
What are the advantages in opening them up, I presume it is to get more air in the engine but will it not let to much in at high speed not to mention the bugs and if it is raining ?

Without the RAM air setup your going to bring in a lot or rain. If you take your scope off, have a peak at your distributor. It's going to get pretty wet!

"Right, off we go after a spot of tea!"

Re: Open scoops - 11/16/18 08:09 PM

The 67/68 ram air setup is fairly basic and simple. The 69 system is complicated with lots of moving parts

Re: Open scoops - 12/16/18 03:04 AM

Took your advice and just bought some open scoops. They are nice pieces. Wasn’t looking forward to cutting up the closed scoops
© 2019 Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)