First Generation Firebird
Well good afternoon. I have been searching the web as well as this site obviously and have found a few old postings about replacing the sending unit that have assisted greatly. Problem is, that I'm about to re-install the gas tank and the sending unit wiring harness that feeds up into the trunk (connects to a splice plug for the license plate light) is all good however, the hole it routes up through was sealed up with what looks like old bonding of some sort. What is the proper way to seal that plug area and secure the wiring harness? Hope that makes sense and I can post pics if necessary. Thanks for the assist and have a great week.

R/
Roy
There should be rubber grommets for both wires.
Thanks for your reply. There are however, the opening in the trunk floor the floor is either to big or the grommets are to small to properly seal. I really don’t want to put bondo or have well done or anything to that effect IOT sustain the integrity of my vehicle and even more so create a major headache should I have to replace the wiring in the future.
I'm not sure fully understand. Could the original hole have been enlarged in the past for some reason? Could a washer or new sheet metal be welded to the spot to bring it back to original size or try to find a larger grommet? What is "IOT"?
Yes. It's true a picture is worth a thousand words( or in this case several pics).
Ill get some on here later today. IOT is In Order To

Thanks for the feedback on this question.
As requested. Just want it to hold correctly/ seal.

Attached picture F6AA6B3F-45C9-43C5-A22F-0697814EA622.jpeg
Attached picture 03B701B0-2FEF-436B-9299-D80A0A1996C5.jpeg
Attached picture F40627B6-9015-4B2A-98A5-EB58851A78CF.jpeg
Attached picture D4E79BC7-31B3-4445-8F54-0EDD4401565D.jpeg
Here is mine. I scraped around the area a bit with a screw driver to clear the dirt. There appears to be a little black sealer around the grommet but it is hard to tell. If you want I can try to clean it up for a better view. I have never seen the top of the gas tank so I don't know about that bondo-looking stuff in your photo.

Attached picture Sender Wire.jpg
Thanks for the photo. I’ll check an auto parts shop and see if they have something like that. It looks pretty secure on there. I appreciate it. Always simple solutions. As a new owner and very unconditioned diy YouTube and forums want to be mechanic, this site and all yalls feedback and experience is greatly appreciated and keeps this Dream car an enjoyable experience. Thanks.
Enjoy your "Dream car". I looked back at an early post and saw the garage picture. Looks good. How long have you owned it?
I bought it on the 26th of Feb. Dad had one when I was a kid and got rid of it (early 80's) so made it a goal to own one when I "grew up". Now it is a role reversal as far as the car goes. Gotta love it.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)