First Generation Firebird
Posted By: KenG muncie 4 speed speedometer output. - 12/21/12 12:44 AM
Hey folks. I am new to the form and have spent the last few days researching and trying to answer a transmission question with ne luck. I am working on a 1967 Firebird 400 4 speed car. The transmission was missing so I am in the process of finding a replacement. It was orginally a M20 wide ratio. The confusion is what side does the speedometer cable attatch to. The earily generation Camaro's were on the passenger side however my transmission shop tell me that Pontiac's were on the drivers side. The few pics I can find on the internet I have seen both under Firebirds. Can anyone tell me the correct side for a 67?
Mines # matching(all original).
Its on the drivers side.
Posted By: Firebob Re: muncie 4 speed speedometer output. - 12/21/12 08:56 PM
Pass side in 69. I think the last one had a 64-66 case and it was the same.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7dd29b3127ccec0c592bfce5900000010O08BcNW7ly0bg9vPgY/cC[/img]
Posted By: ho4spdtogo Re: muncie 4 speed speedometer output. - 12/23/12 02:15 AM
my 68 is # match and the dr side is the linkage side and the pass is the area where the cable mounts into.
Hate to see this happen...why stated what my 67 came with from the factory.
But...just to clearify.
ALL 67-69 FB's(4spd w/Muncie's) used the same extn hsg, and the speedo drive was on drivers side.
Posted By: Firebob Re: muncie 4 speed speedometer output. - 12/26/12 08:38 PM
Well, I don't know about that. My orig trans was swapped out before I got the car so I can't say what was put in but I can't imagine someone going to all the trouble to install the wrong replacement in the early 70s when they were so easy to get. And then having to change the speedo cable to a longer one to reach all the way to the other side.
It really seems like the speedo cable would get in the way of the shifting assembly on the drvr side. I have the fresh built M20 sitting on the shelf in the garage. I'll get the number off the tail housing. Maybe I can cross ref to see what the app was. Maybe it was the Sag boxes that had the speedo on the drvr side?
Posted By: ksnuclear Re: muncie 4 speed speedometer output. - 12/28/12 11:28 PM
I have a 69 Firebird with original Muncie 4 speed. Tailshaft cating number is 3857584 and the speedo connection is on the passenger side. Here is a quote from the following site-http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2007/08/01/hmn_feature24.html
"extension housing casting number of 3857584 indicates the tail shaft housing is from a 1965-'70 passenger car with a 27-spline output shaft. "

John Pullman
Posted By: ho4spdtogo Re: muncie 4 speed speedometer output. - 12/29/12 02:19 AM
have to agree, its on the pass side. thats all ive seen on my past and present birds. are saginaws different?
Posted By: ksnuclear Re: muncie 4 speed speedometer output. - 12/29/12 03:07 AM
Here is some info from the Camaro Research Group.

"4-speed cars with higher performance engines received the Muncie transmission. The speedometer drive was on the passenger side of the transmission. The speedometer cable for Muncie-equipped cars exits the firewall on the right side of the steering column, above and behind the driver's side valve cover just above the throttle rod pivot, and it uses three clips to secure it to the firewall and tunnel. All other transmissions (including the M20 Saginaw) had the speedo cable exit on the left side of the steering column. "

There was also and interesting pic of a bare firewall showing the two locations where the speedo cable passed through. One hole for the Muncie and another hole for all of the otheres.

John Pullman

Posted By: Firebob Re: muncie 4 speed speedometer output. - 12/29/12 10:12 PM
Ahh. So it sounds like the Sag boxes may have the unit on the left and the muncies on the right sides.
Posted By: garlanka Re: muncie 4 speed speedometer output. - 01/11/13 05:52 AM
Ok, so it is a unanimous decision that the 67 bird with a muncie should have the speedo on the passengers side?
Posted By: carmutt Re: muncie 4 speed speedometer output. - 01/12/13 04:59 AM
Below is a picture of a 1967 built original 4-speed muncie for an early 1968 car. Correct answer is speedo cable on passenger side. Ignore the exhaust system that has not been changed yet. blush

Dave
Same as mine and its #s matching as well....(and an Oct 67 built 68 - 400)
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)