First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Darren Shift cable keeps breaking - 03/18/16 03:17 AM
I am having issues with my shift cable breaking where it passes through the tunnel and into the metal part of the cable housing. This has happened to two brand new shift cables and has occurred when the car it's on jacks and I'm running through the gears with the motor off. I am running a TH350 with a console shifter. Both cables were OER brand.

I'm concerned about the stress on the cable due to the tight bends that must be made rearward when exiting the tunnel and then forward again to turn toward the gear selector. The attached picture shows the general cable routing I'm using and the other shows my broken cable housing with the cable intact and passing through tunnel.

Has anyone had similar issues? Pictures of your setups would be great. Thanks!

Description: Generic photo I found showing nearly identical cable routing
Attached picture generic shift cable diagram.png

Description: Where my cable keeps breaking.
Attached picture photostudio_1458253905678.jpg
Posted By: Dennis in Indiana Re: Shift cable keeps breaking - 03/18/16 06:13 AM
I have an OER #9794252 shifter cable in my '68 for a couple years now. Yes, very tight bends as shown above. No failures. Does shifter and/or transmission seem free when going through the gears by hand?
I'm generally not a fan of OER's quality and try to avoid their products. I ordered cable from NPD without knowing the brand but fit was good and part trouble free.

I have a couple used GM cables if you would like to try one? Would send one if you pay the freight. (I'm guessing $10 for USPS.) The little boot at the transmission end is long gone but they are otherwise useable. PM me and let me know.
Posted By: USMC_Ordy Re: Shift cable keeps breaking - 03/18/16 05:36 PM
I would have to completly agreew ith Dennis on the OER part. Their quality sucks and I never buy any of their products anymore because of that. I used a cable from Shiftworks, which seems to be a lot better cable and allows more flexability. Here is a link http://www.shiftworks.com/firebird68-81.htm You will see two different cables listed, one is listed a 1/4 down the page and that is the GM cable for $114.00 but that is for a power glide (dont get that) and half way down the page there is one listed as a Shiftworks cable that is $74.50. That cable works great.
Posted By: Darren Re: Shift cable keeps breaking - 03/22/16 02:19 PM
I greatly appreciate the replies. I came across the shift works Web page and actually spoke to their customer service department who were very helpful. Their site actually has a great video showing the quality differences between different brands. I ended up getting their cable and will let you know how it goes. He said the GM cable is also fine, but more expensive and very stiff. Also, as an added bonus Summit Racing is refunding me for both broken OER cables. I love their customer service!

Also, to the original question, the transmission runs through the gears effortlessly. It has to be an issue with the cable or routing, etc.

P.S. Dennis I appreciate the offer. I'll see how this shift works cable performed.
Posted By: Dennis in Indiana Re: Shift cable keeps breaking - 03/23/16 04:08 AM
Your welcome.
Posted By: Darren Re: Shift cable keeps breaking - 03/31/16 12:06 AM
Update: The Shift Works cable did the trick. It was well worth the $75 price tag.
Posted By: USMC_Ordy Re: Shift cable keeps breaking - 03/31/16 04:22 AM
Glad it work for you! They are good cables.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)