First Generation Firebird
Posted By: HaroldB Brake bleeding - 05/17/17 12:46 PM
Everything you read o bleeding brakes tell you to start at the furthest wheel.
Right Rear
Left Rear
Right Front
Left Front

However our service manual is completely opposite.
Left Front
Right Front
Left Rear
Right Rear

Wonder why they tell you to do it in that order? Should it be done according to our Service Manual?
Posted By: ramair68 Re: Brake bleeding - 05/17/17 01:19 PM
If you have MC bleeders...you bleed them first and then follow then sequence in the service manual. Otherwise you start with the farthest wheel first.
Posted By: HaroldB Re: Brake bleeding - 05/17/17 01:37 PM
Correct. I'm just wondering why the service manual list it differently compared to how we are normally taught.
Posted By: ramair68 Re: Brake bleeding - 05/17/17 01:59 PM
Because our cars came with MC bleeders, so the bleeding sequence is different than without bleeders. I've done it both ways and have bleeders on my MC, the main objective as we all know if getting the air out of the system, this can be achieved either way of the bleeding sequence. I use a pneumatic bleeder, hooked up to my compressor and it'll get all air bubbles out regardless on which wheel I start at.
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Brake bleeding - 05/17/17 02:31 PM
Not sure the sequence is all that critical. More of a best practice kind of thing (IMHO)
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Brake bleeding - 05/17/17 05:31 PM
I bleed mine the same way but I also have a cheap kit that allows me to attach tube to bleeder and then put tube into cylinder filled with brake fluid. This ensures no air comes back into the system.

Make sure you continually top up MC.
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Brake bleeding - 05/17/17 06:20 PM
Yeah, I do something like that too. I attach clear tubes to each bleeder and put the other ends in empty water bottles. Then keep pumping and refilling while opening each bleeder. I stop when each bottle has several inches collected and the tube is full and I feel like it was sufficient
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: Brake bleeding - 07/05/19 01:57 AM
I thought I would resurrect this old question (below) by Harold. I've been replacing some of my brake hydraulics parts (MC, WCs, flex lines) and planning the bleeding of the system. There must be a technical reason the Pontiac engineers chose a nearest to furthest bleeding sequence rather than the common furthest to nearest practice while engineers of similar brake systems on other GM lines did not. It may not really matter that much but why wouldn't all GM product lines be consistent?

Ramair68, I don't think it is the MC bleeders because they are only on Tempest and Firebird power brakes.

Originally Posted by HaroldB
Right Rear
Left Rear
Right Front
Left Front

Left Front
Right Front
Left Rear
Right Rear

Wonder why they tell you to do it in that order? Should it be done according to our Service Manual?
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Brake bleeding - 07/11/19 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Jimc2002
I thought I would resurrect this old question (below) by Harold. I've been replacing some of my brake hydraulics parts (MC, WCs, flex lines) and planning the bleeding of the system. There must be a technical reason the Pontiac engineers chose a nearest to furthest bleeding sequence rather than the common furthest to nearest practice while engineers of similar brake systems on other GM lines did not. It may not really matter that much but why wouldn't all GM product lines be consistent?

Ramair68, I don't think it is the MC bleeders because they are only on Tempest and Firebird power brakes.

Originally Posted by HaroldB
Right Rear
Left Rear
Right Front
Left Front

Left Front
Right Front
Left Rear
Right Rear

Jimmy,
Get a bleeder kit. Makes the job very easy.

Check this out...https://firstgenfirebird.org/forums...eder+%2Bgus68&Search=true#Post316502
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: Brake bleeding - 07/11/19 05:38 PM
I looked at that Motive pressure bleeder but did not see where they have an adapter for our old master cylinder design. I ended up getting a vacuum bleeder from Eastwood but I'm unhappy with it because air gets sucked into it at the bleeders likely from both the threads and from a poor seal of the tool's adapters on the bleeder fitting. I can't tell when the system's air bubbles end because of the air leaking in at the fittings. I will probably use gravity first and followup with a helper hitting the brakes the old way I used to do it.

The real question is, why did Pontiac engineering recommend the closest wheel first sequence instead of the usual most distant wheel first?
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Brake bleeding - 07/11/19 05:59 PM
Mystery to me. I will check my Chilton's guide to see if it's different. The 69 Service manual is the same as 68, shortest to longest.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)