First Generation Firebird
Posted By: PURSANG Raising front of car - 06/13/17 02:51 AM
We bought this 67 firebird and it seems like they had lowered the front end. Its been converted to disk.. We have put 15" tires and wheels on .. Now I have about 1/2" clearance between tire and wheel well. The coil springs are 3/4 diameter and 6 springs in length. What is the correct spring to get my ride height back?

Thanks,
Jim
Posted By: Stripes Re: Raising front of car - 06/22/17 03:10 PM
Ok, you asked a very complex question in a simple way. The proper springs are going to be determined on the options on the car. If the car is a 6 cylinder, V8, convertible, has AC, or has an upgraded suspension will determine what springs you need. All of these options use different springs. Then headers and an aluminum intake/heads/block will reduce the front end weight a bunch too.

A picture would help a lot.

The car originally had 14" wheels and very narrow tires. The front fender wells on a 67 are small. Factory springs were very soft back in the day, but the small wheel tire combo allowed the room it needed. With bigger tires you may need much stiffer springs, as you can only go so tall.
Posted By: Bjorn Sefeldt Re: Raising front of car - 06/22/17 05:58 PM
interesting...on my 69 I decided to lower front 1 inch, to get a nicer stance....but I did have 14 inch rims...245s as long as you could get them , then 235s....14s were getting harder t find then...on my Alfa I changed rims to 15s...to get a good tire selection.
Posted By: cme469 Re: Raising front of car - 06/22/17 10:49 PM
I was able to get 245 x 14 from tire rack .com (Goodyear ta radial) ordered out of Reno.
Posted By: Bjorn Sefeldt Re: Raising front of car - 06/23/17 03:04 PM
nice...I didn't want to shop all over, just locally...bought my BFGs from Discount
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)