First Generation Firebird
Posted By: ramair68 Front disk brakes heating up - 03/20/18 09:33 PM
Could use some help with this. Went on a short 50 miles drive and started to smell brake pads! I found myself having to push the gas pedal more to get moving until I figured out by braked are starting to lock up. They were hot to the touch and smoking! They released after sitting there for about 40 min and I drove her home. Problem is it doesn't do that all the time. This was the 2nd time it did this. I checked all the obvious like booster piston length=check, brake fluid 1/2 under full=check, calipers clean and lubed, incl. installed new hardware. Could it be in the Master of one of the prop valves that's causing this? any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: Firebob Re: Front disk brakes heating up - 03/21/18 01:01 AM
Was it both sides seizing or just one side?
Posted By: ramair68 Re: Front disk brakes heating up - 03/21/18 01:17 AM
Both.
Posted By: hokie1984 Re: Front disk brakes heating up - 03/21/18 01:18 AM
It might be possible that you have water or air in the system such that when it heats up, it builds up pressure in the lines. If it is both brakes as Firebob asked, I would bleed your brake system again.
Posted By: ramair68 Re: Front disk brakes heating up - 03/21/18 01:39 AM
Good thought, will try that this WE. Thx!
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Front disk brakes heating up - 03/22/18 03:01 AM
Originally Posted by ramair68
Could use some help with this. Went on a short 50 miles drive and started to smell brake pads! I found myself having to push the gas pedal more to get moving until I figured out by braked are starting to lock up. They were hot to the touch and smoking! They released after sitting there for about 40 min and I drove her home. Problem is it doesn't do that all the time. This was the 2nd time it did this. I checked all the obvious like booster piston length=check, brake fluid 1/2 under full=check, calipers clean and lubed, incl. installed new hardware. Could it be in the Master of one of the prop valves that's causing this? any help would be appreciated.

Newly installed brakes? Front and rear disc?
Do you have a brake bleeder kit?
Many 1 person kits available to make this job quick and easy.

Pump the brakes to check to see if your lines have air in them. If there is air in the system the brake pedal will rise. Properly bleed systems
will not "pump up".

Next time brakes lock up (keep engine running), go look at your brake lights. Check to see if they are on.
Posted By: USMC_Ordy Re: Front disk brakes heating up - 03/22/18 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Gus68
Originally Posted by ramair68

Newly installed brakes? Front and rear disc?
Do you have a brake bleeder kit?
Many 1 person kits available to make this job quick and easy.

Pump the brakes to check to see if your lines have air in them. If there is air in the system the brake pedal will rise. Properly bleed systems
will not "pump up".

Next time brakes lock up (keep engine running), go look at your brake lights. Check to see if they are on.

Good info Gus, do you use any of the 1 person bleeder kits? And if so what do you recommend?
Posted By: hokie1984 Re: Front disk brakes heating up - 03/22/18 06:16 PM
The best bleeder I have used is the one I constructed from a Mason jar and a venturi vacuum pump from harborfreight that hooks up to you compressor. You will also need some fittings and tubing. I enclosed it in a wooden box to keep it from getting kicked over. It will pull 25 INHG all day long with no pumping. Total cost was $20.

This pump. You only need the guts from it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-vacuum-pump-with-r134a-and-r12-connectors-96677.html
Posted By: Mushroombert Re: Front disk brakes heating up - 03/23/18 01:34 PM
Best one-person system I've found is the pressure bleeder. (Can't remember the name without going out to the garage) It's like a small Hudson sprayer, with different adapters to fit the master cyl. so you can put pressure on the brake fluid. They're expensive but they work great.

Mine is a Motive Products Power Bleeder.
Posted By: ramair68 Re: Front disk brakes heating up - 03/23/18 02:41 PM
Here's what I missed...did YOU know that?? Master cylinder first! Then front brakes, then rear! WOW! I do have bleeders on master! Got all the air out and re-cleaned the front caliper bores, pistons and lubed with brake fluid NOT petroleum grease.
See attachment from Service manual.

Attached picture Capture.PNG
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Front disk brakes heating up - 03/23/18 08:41 PM
Awesome ... thanks for the doc. I could not remember the order.
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Front disk brakes heating up - 03/23/18 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Mushroombert
Best one-person system I've found is the pressure bleeder. (Can't remember the name without going out to the garage) It's like a small Hudson sprayer, with different adapters to fit the master cyl. so you can put pressure on the brake fluid. They're expensive but they work great.

Is this the one? http://brakebleeders.com/brake-bleeder-kits/0108-late-model-gm-chevy-power-bleeder-kit

Posted By: Mushroombert Re: Front disk brakes heating up - 03/24/18 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Gus68
[quote=Mushroombert]Best one-person system I've found is the pressure bleeder. (Can't remember the name without going out to the garage) It's like a small Hudson sprayer, with different adapters to fit the master cyl. so you can put pressure on the brake fluid. They're expensive but they work great.

Is this the one? http://brakebleeders.com/brake-bleeder-kits/0108-late-model-gm-chevy-power-bleeder-kit

Yup, That's it. Works great for people like me that work alone.
Posted By: bigchief Re: Front disk brakes heating up - 03/24/18 03:47 PM
Most important step is to bench bleed the master and make sure all of the air is out. Then the rest should be cake.
Start with passenger side rear bleeder then jump to the passenger front when the pedal is still down.
You should have steady brake fluid flow after 2 bleeding that will force all the air out.
Never underestimate a faulty master cylinder new out of the box. I have had 2 bad ones in a row.
If you bleed the brakes for an hour and still have a crappy pedal chances are the master cylinder is no good.
With a bad master cylinder it will leak internal and not have good pressure to the rear or front and the pedal will be soft.
Also make sure the brake pedal push rod is the correct length so as the piston in the master cylinder reterns all the way back.

Hope this helps
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)