First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Danmc9 Rear main seal - 04/04/18 07:23 PM
Is it possible to change the seal if the trans and flywheel are removed.
67 Firebird
400 ci
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Rear main seal - 04/04/18 09:26 PM
The motor needs to come out. You have to remove the main caps and at least separate the crank from the rear main bearing.
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Rear main seal - 04/08/18 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Bob S.
The motor needs to come out. You have to remove the main caps and at least separate the crank from the rear main bearing.

+2 Might even have to take the pistons out.
Posted By: Hank350 Re: Rear main seal - 04/08/18 09:11 PM
I'm not sure if the '69s are different but my "old school" mechanic changed my rear main last fall without taking the engine out or removing the flywheel. went smoothly and no leaks.
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Rear main seal - 04/08/18 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Hank350
I'm not sure if the '69s are different but my "old school" mechanic changed my rear main last fall without taking the engine out or removing the flywheel. went smoothly and no leaks.

Once you take the rear cap off I can't see how your going to feed a rope seal thru the hole in the bearing cap you cannot move.

Attached picture IMG_2308.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2307.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2309.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2310.jpg
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Rear main seal - 04/09/18 01:01 AM
Hmmm. You think he somehow was able to separate the oil pan enough to remove the rear main cap, push out the top part of the seal and feed in a new one?
Posted By: bigchief Re: Rear main seal - 04/09/18 03:28 AM
Originally Posted by Hank350

What seal was put back in ?
A rope seal really needs to be packed in the groove in the block and cap to be seated correctly.
A lip type seal needs to have a sealant used or it will eventually spin.
Also both type seals need to be trimmed perfectly.
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Rear main seal - 04/09/18 04:16 AM
Hank must be referring to the rear pan gasket seal. It can be a bugger to seal as well and it can be done under the car.
No way to fix rear crank seal without a LOT of work.
Posted By: Hank350 Re: Rear main seal - 04/09/18 01:20 PM
It was the rear mail seal that was replaced. The old rope type seal was forced out and the new two piece lip type seal rotated in with sealant. I was skeptical too but the mechanic, a good friend of mine, said he has done it before. We will see if it makes it through the summer. It has been run a few times since the install and no signs of any leaks yet. I'll keep you posted.
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Rear main seal - 04/09/18 01:29 PM
Hank,
That’s great. I reconditioned my engine but I stayed away from the rear seal
because I thought that I would need to remove crank etc. I think I will try to
remove mine. Any tips you can give me would be great. I have the engine
out
Posted By: Bjorn Sefeldt Re: Rear main seal - 04/09/18 02:50 PM
My mechanic changed rear main seal w engine in also....but a year later , leaked again....
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Rear main seal - 04/09/18 02:54 PM
Pontiacs don’t leak. They mark their territory
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Rear main seal - 04/09/18 02:56 PM

Good one! lol
Posted By: Bjorn Sefeldt Re: Rear main seal - 04/09/18 03:04 PM

LOL

when my Fiat leaked (I had in 67) we used to say :" it is easy to change oil in Italian cars, just fill/ add from the top"

o, Wow! just noticed my NEXT post will be 20,000! better save for a good one...LOL
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Rear main seal - 04/09/18 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Bjorn Sefeldt

LOL

when my Fiat leaked (I had in 67) we used to say :" it is easy to change oil in Italian cars, just fill/ add from the top"

o, Wow! just noticed my NEXT post will be 20,000! better save for a good one...LOL

Congrats on 20,000 posts!!
Posted By: Jimc2002 Re: Rear main seal - 04/09/18 03:21 PM

Simple fix:

Attached picture Oil Leak Pan.png
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Rear main seal - 04/09/18 05:35 PM
My bird leaks everything from everywhere. I used a 1 piece Viton rear seal and a 1 piece oil pan gasket on my goat motor and that is pretty leak tight
Posted By: Mushroombert Re: Rear main seal - 04/10/18 02:18 PM
I used the Viton crank seal too, but still had oil leaks. There was thread here I think some years ago, about how the Pontiac rear seal cut-out wasn't machined well enough (not round) to use a Viton seal.
There is an old/antique tool, kinda looks like Chinese finger trap that's made for replacing the rear main seal with the crank in place. Never used it, but it may work if you want to use the rope seal. I have replaced a formed rubber seal in the car with crank in place (different kind of car & engine) before. It's a bit of a PITA but it can be done.
Posted By: Bjorn Sefeldt Re: Rear main seal - 04/11/18 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Gus68
Originally Posted by Bjorn Sefeldt

LOL

Congrats on 20,000 posts!!

thanks!
Posted By: Bluebird428 Re: Rear main seal - 04/11/18 03:51 PM
One has to be able to drop the pan enough to get the rear cap off. The BOP rear seal is pushed through the groove with sealant on the end a few times to fill the rope seal anti-rotation holes. once filled the seal is then wiped clean an rotated through a few more times to clean the groove.
the seal is then slid in and the cap is placed on with the other half of the seal and torqued down. The BOP rear seals are very good.

trouble is some of the seal grooves are not concentric or the mains have been machined so many times the groove has tightened up on the top and bottom. That happened to me and I had to make a tool to remachine the groove.
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Rear main seal - 04/11/18 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Bluebird428
One has to be able to drop the pan enough to get the rear cap off. The BOP rear seal is pushed through the groove with sealant on the end a few times to fill the rope seal anti-rotation holes. once filled the seal is then wiped clean an rotated through a few more times to clean the groove.
the seal is then slid in and the cap is placed on with the other half of the seal and torqued down. The BOP rear seals are very good.

trouble is some of the seal grooves are not concentric or the mains have been machined so many times the groove has tightened up on the top and bottom. That happened to me and I had to make a tool to remachine the groove.

My 400 HO is sitting on my test stand. Maybe I will give it a try... replace the rear seal with crank & pistons still on.

That's gotta be brutal to do under the car. But I guess if you have a hoist maybe it's not that bad.

Thanks for the info Al.
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Rear main seal - 04/11/18 06:40 PM
With my motor on a stand, I disassembled the main caps and rod caps and removed the crank without removing the pistons or the heads. I got the crank ground and got new bearings and new 1 piece rear seal and reassembled.
Posted By: Bluebird428 Re: Rear main seal - 04/21/18 08:10 PM
When I first bought the Firebird, I replaced the seal with the engine in the car by lifting it slightly off the mounts and dropping the pan. I managed to remove all the caps and lower the crank just a bit to use the rope seal tool to pull out the old seal and install the 'TIN INDIAN" seal. Didn't last long so I pulled the engine out. That resulted in a rebuild. The mains were bored at least three times. I put in the 'graphtite' seal. That lasted about 1000 miles. I pulled it again and found the crank was brown around the seal area from heat. I measured the rear seal grove, it was WAY out of round. About 16-20 thou out at the cap and the block.

I tried a dozen machine shops trying to get someone to re-machine the groove. No luck! A one piece chebby? yes, a Pontiac no. I thought a machine shop would want to do something besides bore out SBCs all day long. I contacted a shop in Tenn that would do it but it was $800 for shipping.

I bought some 1-1/4" round ground steel and some !" plate aluminium. I made two doughnuts to fit into the bearing bores and some clamps to hold the shaft in the correct position. A hole drilled through the end of the shaft to hold a cutting tool such as those in a lathe. I got the cutting bit from KMS tools. I shaped the cutting edge the same profile as the seal groove. A threaded hole drilled 90 degrees to the first one was used to hold the cutting edge in place with a lock bolt.

After positioning the tool in the block I moved the cutting edge out so it just touched the groove and gave it a few turns, then loosened the lock bolt and moved it out a couple thou. I measured the groove after every adjustment and eventually took 18 thou off the cap and 12 off the block.

I assembled the engine with the BOP two piece chevron seal, after around 6-7000 miles it still didn't leak.

A lot of machine shops have hundreds of thousands of $$$ in machinery, I've got a drill press a bench vise and a press.
Machinist used to love a challenge and a change in routine. I guess they are a dying breed. Too bad.

Attached picture Seal groove tool 023.jpg
Attached picture Seal groove tool 006.jpg
Attached picture Seal groove tool 036.jpg
Attached picture Seal groove tool 038.jpg
Attached picture Seal groove tool 009.jpg
Attached picture Seal groove tool 010.jpg
Posted By: Purple haze Re: Rear main seal - 07/18/19 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Bluebird428
When I first bought the Firebird, I replaced the seal with the engine in the car by lifting it slightly off the mounts and dropping the pan. I managed to remove all the caps and lower the crank just a bit to use the rope seal tool to pull out the old seal and install the 'TIN INDIAN" seal. Didn't last long so I pulled the engine out. That resulted in a rebuild. The mains were bored at least three times. I put in the 'graphtite' seal. That lasted about 1000 miles. I pulled it again and found the crank was brown around the seal area from heat. I measured the rear seal grove, it was WAY out of round. About 16-20 thou out at the cap and the block.

I tried a dozen machine shops trying to get someone to re-machine the groove. No luck! A one piece chebby? yes, a Pontiac no. I thought a machine shop would want to do something besides bore out SBCs all day long. I contacted a shop in Tenn that would do it but it was $800 for shipping.

I bought some 1-1/4" round ground steel and some !" plate aluminium. I made two doughnuts to fit into the bearing bores and some clamps to hold the shaft in the correct position. A hole drilled through the end of the shaft to hold a cutting tool such as those in a lathe. I got the cutting bit from KMS tools. I shaped the cutting edge the same profile as the seal groove. A threaded hole drilled 90 degrees to the first one was used to hold the cutting edge in place with a lock bolt.

After positioning the tool in the block I moved the cutting edge out so it just touched the groove and gave it a few turns, then loosened the lock bolt and moved it out a couple thou. I measured the groove after every adjustment and eventually took 18 thou off the cap and 12 off the block.

I assembled the engine with the BOP two piece chevron seal, after around 6-7000 miles it still didn't leak.

A lot of machine shops have hundreds of thousands of $$$ in machinery, I've got a drill press a bench vise and a press.
Machinist used to love a challenge and a change in routine. I guess they are a dying breed. Too bad.

That's awsome!! You must be a machineist or were one to come up with that idea. My 67 bird has a 75 400. I will attempt a rear seal job asap for iit's leaking like a siv. Probably go with a two piece seal, I believe that's what those engines had. I'd like to do the job with the eng in the car. I hope there aren't any issues like you had.
Posted By: Bluebird428 Re: Rear main seal - 07/18/19 09:35 PM
No not a machinist, I was Chief Engineer at an Aircraft repair and maintenance facility. I started out in the bush working on Beavers, Otters, 185s, Norseman. Beach 18s, DC3s. Then worked for two schedule and charter airlines, more turbine powered aircraft and helicopters, then a few jet propelled aircraft. While visiting my Folks on Pender Island, I was offered the Chief Engineer position. I phoned my girlfriend in La Ronge, who told me it was 49 below zero there, it was 49 above here, easy decision. Not a profitable career change, but I wasn't freezing my [censored] every winter. Now I have a sawmill business.

The small journal engines didn't have the same problems with the eccentric rear seal groove as the large journal engines did. Yes, yours had a two piece robe seal but I would use the BOP two piece chevron seal. There is a rope seal remover and installation tool to pull the rope seals and reinstall with the crank still in the block, but I have more faith in the BOP seal.

Just my opinion, I'm not an expert.
Posted By: Firebob Re: Rear main seal - 07/19/19 01:07 PM
Do yourself a favor and just pull the engine to replace that seal. You'll save yourself some time and a lot of aggravation. Plus you'll get a good look at everything and will be able to take care of any other issues that you may find. If there aren't any other problem areas you have peace of mind knowing you did everything you could.
Posted By: Hank350 Re: Rear main seal - 07/21/19 01:36 PM
Just checking back in. Going on most of two summers and probably 4K miles and still holding on. My friend, the shop owner said at the time, let's try this, if it doesn't hold then we'll get serious and pull the motor.
Posted By: ramair68 Re: Rear main seal - 07/22/19 01:37 PM
Mine is leaking as well. I generally do not use stop leak products but wonder if any of the new ones actually work. Read some good feedback/reviews on these two: ATP-205 or Lucas engine stop leak. Anyone try them?
Posted By: Firebob Re: Rear main seal - 07/22/19 10:48 PM
So lets think about this for second...the holes that feed oil to your crank and cam bearings are, for the most part, pressurized oil leaks. You really do not want to goo them closed. How does a stop leak oil additive differentiate between a good leak and a bad one? Just sounds like a bad idea to me. But then I'm no expert that's for sure.
Posted By: hokie1984 Re: Rear main seal - 07/23/19 01:40 AM
Most of the stop leaks work by causing the seals to swell. I have had some luck but they are not 100%.
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Rear main seal - 07/23/19 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by Firebob
So lets think about this for second...the holes that feed oil to your crank and cam bearings are, for the most part, pressurized oil leaks. You really do not want to goo them closed. How does a stop leak oil additive differentiate between a good leak and a bad one? Just sounds like a bad idea to me. But then I'm no expert that's for sure.

I good stop leak is polite and asks the part if it’s ok to “filler up” before it does it. Lol
Posted By: Firebob Re: Rear main seal - 07/24/19 04:00 AM
Ah ok. Obviously I have no idea what a stop leak does but it still doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Posted By: Purple haze Re: Rear main seal - 07/24/19 07:28 PM

Yeah, mine leaks really bad. I think I should bite the bullet and just pull the motor. Seems like the in car repair would be a real pain
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)