First Generation Firebird
Posted By: billy1979 Leaf spring bracket misalignment - 04/11/18 03:06 AM
My front spring eye bracket holes are not lining up correctly after floor pan was replaced. In order to get it mounted im gonna have to egg-shape the hole on the passenger side bracket and almost drill a new hole altogether for the driver side. It lines up pretty close as long as the tab at the end of bracket isn't flush against the inside of the squared opening which im pretty sure it needs to be. Is this to be expected when replacing the floor pan or is something wrong here. Two of the three holes are already elongated from the factory but its the the round one on each bracket that wont line up correctly. Just curious if anyone has seen this before.
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Leaf spring bracket misalignment - 04/13/18 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by billy1979
My front spring eye bracket holes are not lining up correctly after floor pan was replaced. In order to get it mounted im gonna have to egg-shape the hole on the passenger side bracket and almost drill a new hole altogether for the driver side. It lines up pretty close as long as the tab at the end of bracket isn't flush against the inside of the squared opening which im pretty sure it needs to be. Is this to be expected when replacing the floor pan or is something wrong here. Two of the three holes are already elongated from the factory but its the the round one on each bracket that wont line up correctly. Just curious if anyone has seen this before.

Are you referring to this:

Attached picture All Models Parts   1968 Firebird Rear Eye Bracket   Classic Industries.png
Posted By: billy1979 Re: Leaf spring bracket misalignment - 04/14/18 02:17 AM
Yes thats it
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Leaf spring bracket misalignment - 04/14/18 01:41 PM
That's odd. I was able to install mine on my newly installed floor pan. Mine was a full floor pan from the firewall to the start of the trunk. How big was your new floor pan? Are you trying to install a OEM or repro part to your floor pan? Did you brace the body before removal of major structured steel components? Do you have some pics?

I have attached some of my pics.

Attached picture eye brac1 IMG_0604.JPG
Attached picture eye brac2 IMG_0604.JPG
Attached picture eye brac3 IMG_0610.JPG
Attached picture rear framerails braced IMG_0474.JPG
Attached picture Full floorpan IMG_0598.JPG
Posted By: billy1979 Re: Leaf spring bracket misalignment - 04/14/18 04:37 PM
Its a one piece from firewall to trunk pan same as yours, Goodmark brand, installed by local resto shop. Sorry for the poor quality of pics but the best i could do while laying under car with phone and light. The pic where both my fingers exposed is the passenger side. As you can see its centered a bit more than driver side. Would you agree the only option is to (modify) the holes on the bracket or is there a better method? Thanks alot for all your input. This is the first ever restoration project for me and it will be the last. Would of been less stressful and im sure less expensive to buy one already done and be enjoying it right now but ive gotten too far into this project theres no turning back now. Im just trying to make sure im going about everything the correct way so im not going back a second time

Attached picture 20180414_112407.jpg
Attached picture 20180414_112312.jpg
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Leaf spring bracket misalignment - 04/14/18 04:53 PM
As you can see from my pics is the rear frame needs to held
in place before it’s separated from old pan.
Now your trying to fit the bracket and it will not fit
because they should have attached the bracket
before starting to weld.
You can find some way to attach them but how are your
leaf springs going to lineup?
Time to walk over there and give him some [censored] and tell
I didn’t do it right and get it working
Posted By: billy1979 Re: Leaf spring bracket misalignment - 04/15/18 07:07 PM
According to this i should be 33 1/2 from center to center of each hole. Im getting 33 3/4. Is that enough cause for concern and also could the aftermarket pan just be off on the hole location

Attached picture Screenshot_2018-04-15-09-29-11.png
Posted By: Gus68 Re: Leaf spring bracket misalignment - 04/15/18 07:22 PM
That brings up another point. You want to attach your front frame and verify those measurements. 1 person can verify it.

Also attach rear leaf springs and rear end. That will enable you to check to see if you can over come 1/4' mistake.

I also installed all my sheet metal to verify gaps etc. Now I'm ready to uninstall sheet metal and start painting body.
Posted By: billy1979 Re: Leaf spring bracket misalignment - 04/15/18 07:43 PM
Sounds like this isnt your first rodeo on restoring these cars, thanks for your help, i will be putting in rearend and springs soon
Posted By: Firebob Re: Leaf spring bracket misalignment - 04/15/18 11:27 PM
What!! Aftermarket sheet metal not lining up right! You're kidding right? That just can't be.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)