First Generation Firebird
I have a 69 bird with a TH400 and I am wanting to change out the filter and gasket. There is a transmission crossmember blocking one of the bolts to drop the pan.
Do I need to remove the crossmember to drop the pan?
And if so where should I support the transmission if I unbolt the crossmember?
You need to take the cross member off.

1. Get car safely on jack stands
2. Remove tranny mounting bolts (tranny sits on top of xmember)
3. Put jack under somewhere to raise tranny & engine approx 1"
4. Remove 4 bolts holding xmember to frame
5. Remove xmember
6. Support engine and tranny somewhere on tail section
7. Do tranny maint
Thanks,
I purchased a new mount to replace the old one on the crossmember, since it’s as old as the car.
When you say raise tranny and engine 1” are you meaning just put a jack near the crossmember and jack from there? Or do I need 2 jacks?
I’m just concerned about raising the tranny alone and if that can cause other issues with engine to tranny seals and mounts.

Thanks again!
Better question now that I’m back underneath the car.
Where can I jack up the tranny? I can’t seem to find any spot that I can put a jack too. Any ideas?
I have done mine many times without removing the crossmember. All you have to do is get a block of wood that is as long as the trans pan is wide or wider, put it under the trans pan making sure it goes from edge to edge, and useing a floor jack, remove the mount bolts from the crossmember, raise the trans up enough to remove the bolts you can't get to, then let the jack back down to rest the trans back on the crossmember and finsh removing the rest of the bolts and pan. If you still have a hard time getting the pan removed, then remove the crossmember bolts , raise the trans up a little, slide the crossmember back a little bit to clear the pan, and let the trans down and rest the tail housing on the crossmember, then you should be able to remove the pan.
Mine has a deep pan from a truck, so my bolts are a little easier to get to
Originally Posted by Chris 69 400
Better question now that I’m back underneath the car.
Where can I jack up the tranny? I can’t seem to find any spot that I can put a jack too. Any ideas?

Sorry, missed your post. firebird69racer has it worked out. Basically, you can use a wood block to jackup without hurting anything.
You will have to see if the cross member will be blocking your ability to remove the pan.
Meant to ask you. Do you have any other things you want to do like replace tranny seals, engine gaskets and seals etc. Because changing the tranny gasket is easy when the engine and tranny are out.
i ended up doing just that jacking the tranny with a block of wood to get clearance to one bolt on the pan I couldn’t before.
I replaced the crossmember mount as well.
However now the trans pan is leaking more then before from the front.
I used a Felpro gasket and didn’t torque too tight. Just as much as I could turn with my hand right under the wrench.
I’m guessing maybe get a new aluminum pan?
My original pan is more shallow as it goes under the crossmember so I just hope I can get a replacement that doesn’t hit.
Do you feel that would be the solution?
Also to your question Gus I would like to do those things, I just don’t feel I have the skill or tools to drop the tranny or pull the engine.
Originally Posted by Chris 69 400
i ended up doing just that jacking the tranny with a block of wood to get clearance to one bolt on the pan I couldn’t before.
I replaced the crossmember mount as well.
However now the trans pan is leaking more then before from the front.
I used a Felpro gasket and didn’t torque too tight. Just as much as I could turn with my hand right under the wrench.
I’m guessing maybe get a new aluminum pan?
My original pan is more shallow as it goes under the crossmember so I just hope I can get a replacement that doesn’t hit.
Do you feel that would be the solution?
Also to your question Gus I would like to do those things, I just don’t feel I have the skill or tools to drop the tranny or pull the engine.

With our help you can do it. Makes life a hell of lot easier and funner! lol
Random change of topic but something I noticed when I have the car jacked up and spin the front wheels I can hear a bit of brake scraping and it slows the wheel down a decent amount.
Thoughts?
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)