First Generation Firebird
Posted By: Fish Advice on Brakes - 06/22/19 03:50 PM
Hello,

I have a ´68 Firebird 400 with a manual disc/drum brake setup; the disc brakes are the original 4-piston calipers.

I'm looking to add a power booster, change the front disc to single piston calipers and replace all the rear drum brake pieces since I'm not sure if disc on the rear would add much to the braking power.

I was wondering is it better to go with a '69 front disc setup or get a 14' front disc kit?
Also, since I'm adding a power booster, which lines do I need to order to accommodate the booster position?

This vehicle will not be used for drag/street racing but will be used on highways and winding country roads.

Thanks for your help.

Posted By: Bob S. Re: Advice on Brakes - 06/22/19 11:36 PM
Power front disc is all you need. I’d go with the 69 setup. Maybe get with the right stuff or inline tube and they can help you figure out what you’ll need.
Posted By: Bartbird Re: Advice on Brakes - 06/23/19 02:02 PM
I bought the SS Brakes kit that fits stock spindles, and their SS brake lines which fit perfectly, I got the booster and new master cylinder from Ames and I bought the tuned stock distribution block from Classic Industries which is pre set for f disc r drum and tuned and fits the stock lines perfectly and looks stock.
Posted By: Fish Re: Advice on Brakes - 06/24/19 04:14 AM
The hardware from Inline Tube for the '69 front discs is less than Ames so I will call them on Monday. And since I'm buying the brake lines from Inline Tube as well, it will be easier to get everything from the same vendor.

Bartbird, where did you buy the SS Brake kit from?
Posted By: hokie1984 Re: Advice on Brakes - 06/24/19 12:02 PM
I just installed Inline Tube's kit on my 67, I really like it. Note, the one I ordered had the new style all in one proportioning valve which does look different from the original factory setup including how the brake lines route. I also had to grind off a small amount on the bracket to make it not rub my JC Rally wheels (sounds worse than it is). Other than that it was a very simple install.
Posted By: Bob S. Re: Advice on Brakes - 06/24/19 01:29 PM
SS lines are stiff and harder to work with than steel. I did a SS fuel line and regretted it. Now I always use the stock type steel. For a car that is going to have limited exposure to the elements steel is fine. I think they tin plate the steel lines so they are somewhat corrosion resistant.
Posted By: Fish Re: Advice on Brakes - 06/24/19 03:49 PM
Yeah, I just ordered SS fuel feed and return lines and it was challenging to straighten the shipping bend out.

hokie1984 - are you running 14" or 15" wheels? Which kit did you order?
Posted By: hokie1984 Re: Advice on Brakes - 06/24/19 04:41 PM
I am running 14" JC Rally wheels. They are tight, but there are no rubs. I ordered kit DBK6927 but then added a new set of brake lines and the electrical connector for the brake failure indicator. I ordered standard steel lines for the very reason you cited with respect to straightening the shipping bends. I figured the original set lasted 50 years, the replacement ones will get me to 100 years or my death, whatever comes first.
Posted By: Fish Re: Advice on Brakes - 07/12/19 11:14 PM
Update:
I ordered a new upper booster kit (power booster, master cylinder and combination valve), the 9pc hard brake line kit and the brake conversion lines for from Inline Tube and '69 brake calipers and pads from Ames (Inline Tube was out of stock).
Like I said above, the upper booster kit came with the combination valve instead of the proportioning and distribution valves.

So far so good!
Posted By: Fish Re: Advice on Brakes - 09/23/19 09:34 PM
Update #2: After 3 months of back and forth emails (their Technical dept on uses emails to talk to customers) and tons of frustration, I still do not have this brake conversion done.

In late June, I called Inline Tube told them I was going from a manual brake disc/drum 1968 Firebird to a power brake disc/drum setup with 1969 stock calipers and they told me all the parts to buy.
When I received the parts, the brake lines did not line up with the distro valve. They said the order was wrong and that they sent a 1969 upper pwr booster assy (pwr booster, master cylinder, distro and proportioning valve) and 1968 brake lines. That's weird because I'm sure the upper booster assy is the same for 67-69 Fbodies but sure, whatever, just get this fixed! In July, they sent me a combo valve and bracket and said this would definitely fix it...haha, not even close.

Last week, they said they would send me a 1969 brake line kit and 69 brake brackets. I received it on Saturday and thought this should be it.
Well, the lines fit correctly with the distro valve but I don't have any holes on top of my frame to mount the brake brackets they sent. They also sent me a 1pc front to rear line instead of the 2pc I ordered before.

I'm sure this will take multiple emails and many days for them to understand why this isn't working and why I'm still emailing them.

I do have a question: do I need to have the 2pc line with the rear brake hold-off valve? I'm not sure which applications use the 1pc or 2pc line setup.

Also, if anyone has a solution to my adventure, please let me know. I really didn't think new brake lines and booster assy would be so difficult!

Thx.
© Firebird Classifieds & Forums (1967, 1968, and 1969)