Q: HO stripes for 1968
What Firebirds could get the HO stripes.
A: Here’s what I know about the Rally Stripe….
1) The 1968 Firebird Sales Brochure shows a white 1968 Firebird 350 with Red “H.O.” Rally Stripes.
2) The 1968 Firebird Dealer Order Form lists option 494 (Rally Stripe) as available on all except with option 344 (350 H.O.) since 344 came std. with the stripes.
3) The 400 H.O. did not come standard with the Rally Stripes but one could order them according to Sales literature.
4) The 1968 Parts Catalog lists part numbers for Black, Red & White “H.O.” Stripes as well as the plain stripes (front fender).
5) The “Generation-1” Firebird Registry has several members with original, documented “Rally Stripes” including 350, 400, H.O. and even a Ram Air I car.
6) The Body Broadcast Sheet lists the (3) different color codes for the Rally Stripe.
A: the stripe for the 350 HO was an HO stripe. You are correct in the colors, red ,white and black. All colors were closely coordinated with paint and interior color combos. i.e. white car and parchment(white) interior wouldnt get an ivory stripe. As I stated before only the 350 HO was avaliable (and standard equiptment) with HO stripes. Any other engine combo got the Ralley stripe for a mere $14.74 extra. You could do a delete on the HO stripes (350 HO CARS) but it was a no cost no refund item. The orginals were vinyl and held up very well, still have the orginals on my 1967 Sprint.One of the best ways to see if your car was equipted with the HO 326 and had the stripes is spend $35 for PHS to verify….. Unless you can find the build sheet.
A: the ralley stripe option. This was avaliable in 67-8 on any engine combo except the HOs. The ralley stripe is sometimes called “SPRINT” stripes by mistake…does anyone on list have an orginal 400 ( or anything except an HO) with the ralley stripes? Many people dont realize that it could be got that way.
Any proposed updates, changes, pictures, and/or corrections, please use our comment section below (may need to click on permalink to access comments feature). Information is subject to change and offered as is without any warranties or guarantees. Please review our Term's Of Use for more information.
Content last modified: January 5, 2014 at 8:42 pm