Q: Hood Tach Servicing
Does anyone know a good place I can send my hood tach to be rebuilt?
A: Randy Watson
The Tach Shop
2201 Surry Rd
Jeffersonville, IN 47130
….Rebuilds, Restores Hood Tachs.
*Not sure if he uses silk screening or decals for the Face.
“The Tach Man”
*Aprox. $175 to rebuild/restore including silk screening
NOTE: The repro Hood Tach that is currently on the market has been ‘refined’ over the years but still differs (slightly) in appearance to an original. This difference is in the face (plastic, fuzzy) and the Face Trim. The functionality and lighting is superior to an original Tach. Both Randy Watson and “The Tach Man” can rebuild/restore to appear original but use updated components/circuitry.
A: I agree, Randy is very good at what he does and very knowledgeable about Tach Restoration techniques. I had a price schedule of his services somewhere but I can’t seem to locate it at the moment. From what I remember, these are the basic elements to a restoration……
– CASE… (repair or replace case, face trim, base)
– FACE… (restore, silkscreen, replace faded, rusted faces)
*NOTE: there were some repro ‘adhesive’ faces being sold awhile back. Certainly a cheap alternative to silk screening though, not as ‘concours’.
– CIRCUITS… (repair or replace Printed Circuit and/or components of it)
*By the way, for all you elect. types, these pieces can be purchased cheap at most Electronic supply shops.
– HEAD (or movement)… This is the where the ‘needle’ resides and may require repair or recalibration.
– WIRING… The correct ‘rubber’ Bulb Sockets were also used on certain year tailights. Duplicating a correct harness is not that difficult and much cheaper than buying a repro harness (if you have the correct sockets, connectors which are all easy to find in a junk yard).
Now, if all you want is a Hood Tach and you don’t want to spend over $200, you might be better off with a repro Hood Tach. Internals, Lighting is better than originals and the only major difference is that repro’s have a somewhat ‘translucent’ Plastic Face (letters/numbers seem ‘fuzzy’). Those who must have 100% original/correct appreance.. contact Randy.
Any proposed updates, changes, pictures, and/or corrections, please use our comment section below (may need to click on permalink to access comments feature). Information is subject to change and offered as is without any warranties or guarantees. Please review our Term's Of Use for more information.
Content last modified: January 17, 2014 at 9:21 pm