Q: Paint for Engine Compartment Parts
I just picked up my upper and lower control arms that were sandblasted and getting ready to paint them with Rustoleum. What color should they be, Flat, Semigloss, or Gloss black?
Also, once I degrease the center link and sway bar, should they be painted a certain color or left unpainted?
A: Use the following color formulas:
1. Firewall, inner radiator support, and othr engine compartment sheet metal:
– two qts “mixing black” #386
– one qrt “universal flattening agent”
– one qrt “mixing clear” #310
– use PPG #DDL-16 quick dry thinner or DuPont #3608S.
2. Undercarrage, frame and suspension: (Egg shell black enamel)
– three qrts mixing black #386
– One qrt flattening agent
– use PPG DTR601 quick dry reducer
3. The center link, swaybar, tie rods, idler arm, and spindles are natural (unpainted). Some restores use a “non” gloss clear, or use a paint such as Eastwoods Natural Steel for these to avoid rust.
Any proposed updates, changes, pictures, and/or corrections, please use our comment section below (may need to click on permalink to access comments feature). Information is subject to change and offered as is without any warranties or guarantees. Please review our Term's Of Use for more information.
Content last modified: January 7, 2014 at 8:12 pm